Go Down

Topic: Disconnecting USB Voltage Line UNO (Read 816 times) previous topic - next topic

chrisdavidhowe

Would it be possible to augment the board to disconnect the USB power? therefore only allowing it to be run on a battery pack?
I am running a mindflex hack off of a Mac MINI and am wary of setting it up while connecting via USB power, I still have to connect via USB for serial data transfer but I'm wondering if I can bypass any voltage that would be coming in...just in case of a catastrophe no one gets their brains fried.
thanks!

cmiyc

You would need to modify the board or hack up a cable.

Another option is to get a FTDI cable and connect it directly to 0,1,RESET, and GND. 
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

chrisdavidhowe

I was considering just taking the red voltage line out of a USB cable, in theory that should still tranmit the serial right?
thanks!

cmiyc

Sometimes the "simple" act of cutting a USB cable isn't as simple as you might think. 

It's worth a shot though.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Go Up