Go Down

Topic: FTDI basic & serial upload to atmega328P breaduino out of sync (Read 8878 times) previous topic - next topic

spcomputing

I have actually had a bootloader that installed and the FTDI tripped (the internal fuses?) something and it would not respond as well.  I have read that some high/low fuse settings can be an issue on certain bootloaders.  Next time, we will play with AVRdude ;)

Try hooking the auto-reset capacitor to the DTR pin if you haven't already and see if it works.

SouthernBinary

Jul 26, 2012, 09:22 pm Last Edit: Jul 27, 2012, 04:30 pm by SouthernBinary Reason: 1
I am curious about the pros and cons of a bare bones board vs a more populated board. I also read something about needing extra circuitry for the analog power reference, but I have no idea what the circuitry is or what needs an analog power reference.

SouthernBinary

Jul 26, 2012, 09:25 pm Last Edit: Jul 26, 2012, 09:33 pm by SouthernBinary Reason: 1
I had it working by the time you told me to take out the cap. It just took me too long to post because I was identifying the error. I had left the auto reset cap in place when it was working.

I just tried it without the restart cap and it would not upload with FTDI. I put the cap back in and it was golden.

spcomputing

Actually, you had your analog reference hooked up (could use some 0.1uF for decoupling) and it can come in handy when you run on batteries.  My examples did not have AREF connected.  There is not too many parts, just some 100uF caps to clean the noise from wall power jacks and a 7805 regulator.  Full size breadboards are nice to run a uC and sensors in one package.  The original layout came from oomlout.org and I thought it was a decent layout.

Populated boards are handy for the Arduino shields and when trying to not scare a non-electronics type.

I think the only real value of barebones is the knowledge of how the basic components work and it is a repairable platform for when you do something a little more dangerous :D ... SMD repairs suck.

Well, if it works, it works.  That is quite a large 0.1uF reset cap.

SouthernBinary

Jul 26, 2012, 11:02 pm Last Edit: Aug 01, 2012, 04:04 pm by SouthernBinary Reason: 1
The cap puts up with 50V according to the numbers written on it. It was a radio shack last min necessity purchase. Its only .1uF but its a hefty .1uF lol. Its all they had.

I do have a regulator with filtering caps I soldered together on a protoboard. Does the AREF need one as well if the 5 V is already regulated?

Heh I have a power jack I was planning to use for 5Vsupply. So the jacks have noise? I figured they would be filtered, and where does the cap go for AREF? Parallel or series?

Wish me luck, My garden project includes an RTC module, SD module, frequency to light converter(AtoD), a humidity temp sensor, and a few relays and relay-H-Bridges to run a motor to raise and lower lights. I'll be circumference counting with a home made encoder wheel as well. I may see a 1284p in my near future. Now if only I could get my classmates to stop with the hippy references lol.

Yeah in my opinion SMD should be left to specialized ovens instead of soldering irons and jewelers loupes.
I tried SMD with a normal tip once and kicked myself in the behind.

spcomputing

One would think they would put a cap in, but maybe the cord has too much of an antenna effect?  All I know is the noise goes way down on the high frequency.  Just a couple of 0.1uF "electronic pixie dust" parallel in the AREF and the AVCC just to tidy up.

Have fun with that garden project!  Try to not too much water on your controller!

CrossRoads

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

spcomputing

Aref cap just goes from Aref pin to Gnd.

True enough, as well as Avcc to Gnd.  Thanks CrossRoads!

xvjeko

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,116323.msg875560.html#msg875560

same problem, but is the solution same???
ps. i dont have an avr isp programmer since i'm not quite in avr's,  and i will have a hard time getting 0.1 uc capacitor.....

spcomputing

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,116323.msg875560.html#msg875560

same problem, but is the solution same???
ps. i dont have an avr isp programmer since i'm not quite in avr's,  and i will have a hard time getting 0.1 uc capacitor.....

Yours might be two-fold.  Since your Atmega328s are Optiboot loaded, this could be an issue and may need to reload Arduino Duemilanove bootloader.  I noticed that you are using Silicon Labs CP210x and if it is the one with "BAITE" silkscreened on the board, as Cyclegadget pointed out elsewhere, the Rx/Tx connect to the Atmega Rx/Tx pins (instead of properly crossing).  If your USBUART board has a DTR/CTS, then you could set it up for auto-reset.

But, you do need some decouplers (0.1uF) in there for the power to the Atmega as well ;)

rajiv24950

i have brought a new atmega 328p u (not atmega328p-pu) shopkeepers have said to me that bootloader is preinstall in my new atmega chip.. so that is better and atmega328p u atmega328p-pu is same chip.. byt when i try to upload code by ftdi code not uploaded properly.. but in same circuit my previous chip atmega 328p-pu upload the code smoothly.. my error is

Binary sketch size: 1,052 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00