Karma is back

Nah, just bad moderator, worse moderator!

Off to bed ...

Good point. They need a "complain about this moderator" button. Enough people would want to use it. :wink:

Karma = mutual admiration society?
Well, I hope it does something useful.

Oh, it does. On another forum, it helped weed out the know-it-all users who didn't.

edit: Those users will not like this at all. Too bad. To put it in computer programming terms:
lots of posts != lots of help

I think that would be a great idea only if.... it costs a major amount of karma for each complaint and you can't go negative in karma.
The advantages are :
Newbies can't complain about moderators as they do not yet have karma. Basically give them the message "learn the forum before complaining"
Complainers will run out of karma soon.
People with little karma (who care) may think twice.

I think this is something to think about.

Best regards
Jantje

Ps to stay positive:
[EDIT]
Image is sourced from http://despair.com. For those with a sense of humor and need a laugh; watch the video's http://spin.despair.com/video/

I talked to dcuartielles yesterday, and told me they had a new webmaster, but he shouldn't had turned on karma, so it might go away in any moment.

chiva:
I talked to dcuartielles yesterday, and told me they had a new webmaster, but he shouldn't had turned on karma, so it might go away in any moment.

Oh crap. Now we go back to guessing who knows what? Only know-it-alls who don't will not like karma.

edit: The other forum I frequent has administrators and moderators excluded from karma. Only regular members can get karma. That way you moderators do not have to sweat this like some seem to be doing.

What - me worry?

@CrossRoads: I didn't think you would be worried, and you shouldn't. I don't think any moderator here has anything to worry about with karma. The moderators here are normally very helpful, but they should be.

I think it is a good idea to exclude administrators and moderators from karma. Their jobs are to administrate and moderate.

Just my opinion.

But we moderators (and maybe the admins) have ego' s too, a little karma is good for the soul :slight_smile:

Like chicken soup, or something like that :wink:

OK. If the choice is down to everybody gets karma, or nobody, I vote for everybody. I am not afraid. :slight_smile:

As you should. A 'good' moderator is like a 'good' coach where sometimes tough love is the best method to get needed improvement from your grasshoppers. :wink:

Lefty

If it's some sort of "I love you" thing I will probably rate pretty low these days because I keep moving posts around and demanding that people supply more information. Oh yeah, and post their error messages. And their circuits.

@Nick: You should rate pretty high. You are moving their posts to where they will get help. And I demand the same of the users I help. That has never stopped me from getting karma!

SurferTim:

If it's some sort of "I love you" thing I will probably rate pretty low these days because I keep moving posts around and demanding that people supply more information. Oh yeah, and post their error messages. And their circuits.

@Nick: You should rate pretty high. You are moving their posts to where they will get help. And I demand the same of the users I help. That has never stopped me from getting karma!

You only have 2; Well 3 now. rofl
Jantje

@Jantje: Maybe you should look here:
http://forum.mikrotik.com
Take a look at the bottom of that page. There is a list of the top karma users. I'm SurferTim there also. :wink:

edit: One more time. I am not afraid. Bring it on.

If you want to know what it takes to frighten me:
http://carnegiehero.org/awardees/awardee-press-releases-1998-present/may-11-2006/#11

@surfertim
I knew you were referring to the other forum you already mentioned. :smiley:
Just wanted to make somefun 8)
I wouldn't know why karma would scare anyone. After all it is all virtual. What would scare me is to look a big hungry eating shark in the eye :wink:
I guess -as a surfer- you know all about that.
Best regards
Jantje

PS yes I meantioned the shark because I have read your hero story with the shark. You're cool; I mean it.

I just hope that it doesn't create some sort of class thing.
I mean, its great to measure how helpful you are, but to be honest I just try my best to answer the question.
Don't really care for karma.
It would be a shame to see peoples answers to go to waste b/c people don't take the time to give karma and so people won't trust a person with a lot of posts but few karma.

Just spotted it so looked over here and sure there is a thread.
I wasn't keen on it last time and I haven't changed my mind. I seem to have been given a head start. Anyway I think it can only cause more confusion because my Kama to posts ratio is very bad. Just spotted that the tongue sticking out smilie has gone as well.

@mike
Do you mean this one?
:stuck_out_tongue:
I still have it ]:smiley:
Jantje

I found the karma useful on the other site I mentioned when I was new there. It gave me an indication who knew what they were talking about. Now I am one of the top guys there.

I would help those who need it if they gave me karma or not. The Arduino crew could drop the karma today and it would make no difference to me. My stuff works, and I will still help.

Do you mean this one?
smiley-razz
I still have it smiley-twist
Jantje

Well you are right I still have it on my reply box on my Mac using firefox.
However I have just checked on my iPad where I made my reply from and it is still the same list icon. It didn't used to be and I haven't updated Safari. It dosn't do it on Safari on the Mac only the iPad. Odd.