stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Everytime I try to upload i get this message, can anyone tell me what this means?

It means that you are communicating like you do not have a programmer connected.

More info would be helpful, i.e. platform, PC, and what you are trying to do.

Im running on a Mac OS X 10.6.8.... I basically just hooked it up and tried running one of the examples onto it and that's the message I received...

Did you set the "Board" and the "Serial" in the "Tools" menu?

ya, I did that...for some reason it works on my computer at school, but not on my mac laptop...thanks for replying by the way.

No problem.

Which Serial Port dev are you using, dev/tty.usbmodem or dev/cu.usbmodem?

Alright! so there is the problem... the only ports that show are bluetooth ones for some reason... bluetooth-PDA-sync and bluetooth-Modem, there is two of each (tty. and cu.)

Any reason why the USB ports are not showing up?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the subject...

Your driver did not install. It should have been automatic. Does the user account you are using on the Mac have sufficient permissions for installing devices?

it should, I've never encountered any problems like that before... should I try re-installing?

I had the same problem!

If you are using an Arduino Nano w/ OSX you need to install the drivers.

Download and execute it:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/MacOSX/FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_14.dmg

And you'll find this files:

• FTDIUSBSerialDriver_10_3.pkg which is specific to OSX 10.3 (Panther)
  • FTDIUSBSerialDriver_10_4_10_5_10_6.pkg which is specific to OSX 10.4 (Tiger), OSX 10.5 (Leopard)
    and 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

Execute "FTDIUSBSerialDriver_10_4_10_5_10_6.pkg" if you are using OSX 10.5+ (Leopard+)

Best!

bro, you're a star!
thanks for that man, it works perfectly now.
time to delve into the world of arduino!

Wow, all this feedback is great. However, I still can't get my Uno R3 communicating with my Macbook running OS 10.6.8 and Arduino 1.1 . Although not needed I've loaded the FTDI driver and still "no dice"

Arduino sees the board. The Serial connection is listed as tty.usbserial. Should that be tty.usbmodem ??
The board is getting power is simply fails the upload.

Any suggestions? I thought this was supposed to be easier on a Mac.

Arduino sees the board. The Serial connection is listed as tty.usbserial. Should that be tty.usbmodem ??
The board is getting power is simply fails the upload.

I think it can work either way, but if you post a thread in Installation & Troubleshooting, there are a lot of Mac users that can help. The only case I ran into on a Mac was Execution permissions.

I have the exact same error, but I have even fewer complications so I have no idea how I could have messed anything up :astonished:.

Arduino Uno
Running version 1.0.1

Mac OS X Version 10.7.4
Serial Port: /dev/tty.usbmodem1d11

Uno means no drivers are necessary, according to the setup instructions.

I just plugged the board in for the first time. I got a green LED, so I ran the Arduino application, loaded Blink, and got the error in this thread's title. The RX Led blinked 3 times but that's all I got.

I've checked the troubleshooting guide, and I've searched the forums but I have not found a solution to this. Any hints?

So the "A new network interface has been detect" box did not come up after plugging in the Uno?

You will have to bear with me until a real Mac user comes by :wink:

I keep getting the same problem as well. My mac recognizes the board and everything yet when I try to upload a simple test program it fails and says programmer is not responding. Im running mountain lion 10.8.2. The correct board and serial port is selected. Any feedback would greatly be appreciated. Thank you!

Does "Network Preferences" show the Uno anywhere? If the driver enumerates the Atmega8/16u2 it should show up as a device on the network. If so, what kind of properties does it have?

I solved this problem by selecting a different board. I have an Uno R3 Plus. However, it is an OEM board which means different chips. I was able to get it to work by selecting the Duemilanove ATmega328. works fine now.

gbitzer:
I solved this problem by selecting a different board. I have an Uno R3 Plus. However, it is an OEM board which means different chips. I was able to get it to work by selecting the Duemilanove ATmega328. works fine now.

I was wondering why they call it an Uno not a Duemilanove Plus :wink: