Go Down

Topic: help with programming ATTINY13a (Read 23906 times) previous topic - next topic

That1guy99

Sep 29, 2012, 03:39 am Last Edit: Sep 29, 2012, 04:22 am by That1guy99 Reason: 1
Try moving the 10uF to your Uno Reset and Gnd and try again (Remember polarity on the cap).  Apparently it is a common Uno problem when programming the ATTiny.  When I was pulling the ICSP jumpers, the Reset jumper not connected caused that error with me.

I have tried and done that with multiple 10 uf caps( yes I did check to make sure I had it in the right way) with no success
Also, I made sure that there were no bad wires(there are none), checked the connections, I even changed the chip and put a fresh one in the slot and I still get this error:

avrdude: please define PAGEL and BS2 signals in the
configuration file for part ATtiny13
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.

double check connections and try again, or use -F to

override

this check

can someone please tell me why its doing this? because its been driving nuts.

strykeroz

Hi,

Reading back through this I'm not precisely sure where you are at when you get this error.  Presumably your ArduinoISP sketch is loaded okay, then you've wired everything back up as per the tutorial so you're ready to program the ATTiny (added the reset capacitor and other wires to Arduino) then you've changed the target board to the correct ATTiny13, and changed the programmer to Arduino as ISP, then you've done the "burn the bootloader" step (or is this where you're getting the error) and now you're trying to upload a sketch and getting the error?

Geoff
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse" - retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

spcomputing

Another thing you can try is move the ATTiny to the opposite side of that breadboard and hook up there.

All I can say is I followed the same directions that you used and it loaded the first time.  I verified the core on all three frequencies and they worked.  No passive componets used (i.e. capacitors, resistors except the LED) just straight from D10-13 and power.

Is your "core13" folder (must be exact, no caps) in \hardware\arduino\cores next to the "arduino" core folder?

That1guy99

Sep 29, 2012, 04:40 am Last Edit: Sep 29, 2012, 04:43 am by That1guy99 Reason: 1
Hi,

Reading back through this I'm not precisely sure where you are at when you get this error.  Presumably your ArduinoISP sketch is loaded okay, then you've wired everything back up as per the tutorial so you're ready to program the ATTiny (added the reset capacitor and other wires to Arduino) then you've changed the target board to the correct ATTiny13, and changed the programmer to Arduino as ISP, then you've done the "burn the bootloader" step (or is this where you're getting the error) and now you're trying to upload a sketch and getting the error?

that is correct.

I get the error regardless of what I upload. If I try to burn the bootloader I get the error, or if I try to upload a sketch I get the error.

"Is your "core13" folder (must be exact, no caps) in \hardware\arduino\cores next to the "arduino" core folder?"

yes it is in that folder

and I will try moving the chip to the other side of the breadboard also.

spcomputing

BTW, I just switched to an Uno and the reset cap is unnecessary, and all three speeds work; blinking on pin3 of the ATTiny.  I have Uploaded via Programmer and just the Normal Upload button (I didn't know that would work...).

strykeroz

Hi,

I've tried to reproduce what you're doing.  I don't have any ATTiny13's but had a fresh ATTiny85, unused right out of the tube.

That error appears to be when the ISP sketch gets 0's as the returned signature - which is what happens when there's no response from the chip.  One thought  - I can reproduce that error burning the bootloader if I put the ATTiny in the circuit wrong way round.  Just clutching at straws, but the dot at pin 1 really is indistinct.

Geoff
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse" - retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

spcomputing

Hi,

I've tried to reproduce what you're doing.  I don't have any ATTiny13's but had a fresh ATTiny85, unused right out of the tube.

That error appears to be when the ISP sketch gets 0's as the returned signature - which is what happens when there's no response from the chip.  One thought  - I can reproduce that error burning the bootloader if I put the ATTiny in the circuit wrong way round.  Just clutching at straws, but the dot at pin 1 really is indistinct.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I originally thought that setting the bootloader "fuses" were needed, but I was wrong.  I did it with and without with no difference.  We are just Uploading without bootloader to the ATTiny13.  The only instance of a "PAGEL" error that I could reproduce is when the reset signal is disconnected from the Tiny.  Obviously, disconnecting the MOSI or MISO causes the infamous communication error.  I think your replication is the RESET signal going into pin 5 MISO and MISO going into the RESET of the Tiny ;)

That1guy99

Sep 29, 2012, 05:27 am Last Edit: Sep 29, 2012, 05:31 am by That1guy99 Reason: 1
BTW, I just switched to an Uno and the reset cap is unnecessary, and all three speeds work; blinking on pin3 of the ATTiny.  I have Uploaded via Programmer and just the Normal Upload button (I didn't know that would work...).

Just to verify, the reset cap goes between the ARDUINO reset and the GND, not the reset on the attiny13a and your using arduino 1.0.1

Ok, so far, I placed the core13 in the correct folder, copied and pasted the text:

################################################################

attiny13.name=Attiny 13A standalone

attiny13.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp
attiny13.upload.maximum_size=1024
attiny13.upload.speed=19200

attiny13.bootloader.low_fuses=0x7B
attiny13.bootloader.high_fuses=0xFF
attiny13.bootloader.path=empty
attiny13.bootloader.file=empty

attiny13.bootloader.unlock_bits=0xFF
attiny13.bootloader.lock_bits=0xFF

attiny13.build.mcu=attiny13a
attiny13.build.f_cpu=128000
attiny13.build.core=core13

################################################################

attiny13int.name=Attiny13 @ 128 KHz (internal watchdog oscillator)
attiny13int.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp
attiny13int.upload.maximum_size=1024
attiny13int.upload.speed=250 # important for not losing connection to a slow processor
attiny13int.bootloader.low_fuses=0x7B
attiny13int.bootloader.high_fuses=0xFF
attiny13int.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
attiny13int.bootloader.lock_bits=0x3F
attiny13int.build.mcu=attiny13
attiny13int.build.f_cpu=128000
attiny13int.build.core=core13

###############################################################

attiny13at4.name=ATtiny13 @ 4.8MHz (internal 4.8 MHz clock)
attiny13at4.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp
attiny13at4.bootloader.low_fuses=0x69
attiny13at4.bootloader.high_fuses=0xff
attiny13at4.upload.maximum_size=1024
attiny13at4.build.mcu=attiny13
attiny13at4.build.f_cpu=600000
attiny13at4.build.core=core13

attiny13.name=ATtiny13 @ 9.6MHz (interne 9.6 MHz clock)
attiny13.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp
attiny13.bootloader.low_fuses=0x7a
attiny13.bootloader.high_fuses=0xff
attiny13.upload.maximum_size=1024
attiny13.build.mcu=attiny13
attiny13.build.f_cpu=1200000
attiny13.build.core=core13

in the boards.txt of the arduino,

programmed the arduinoISP sketch to the arduino

switched the tools/boards to attiny13
changed programmer to arduino ISP

connected the attiny13 with jumper wires

programmed the led blink getting the resulting error :

avrdude: please define PAGEL and BS2 signals in the
configuration file for part ATtiny13
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.

double check connections and try again, or use -F to

override

this check

spcomputing

Just to verify, the reset cap goes between the ARDUINO reset and the GND, not the reset on the attiny13a and your using arduino 1.0.1

I used the Arduino 1.0 as in the Opening Post.  I used no caps.  I used a FTDI type board and the Uno.  Just jumpers from the Arduino boards with the Arduino as ISP to the mini breadboard with an ATTiny13a.  I pasted the same board information as the OP into the boards.txt file.  Currently it is blinking with the ATTiny @ 128kHz.

Coding Badly

BTW, I just switched to an Uno and the reset cap is unnecessary...

It depends on the Uno.  Sometimes it is necessary.  Sometimes not.  Because the Uno has a resonator and the timing between the bootloader and avrdude is so close an Uno that runs a bit slow will work.

Whether or not it works, uploads go a bit faster if auto-reset is disabled.

Coding Badly

Yes.  Be careful to observe the polarity.

Turn on verbose output and post the results.

That1guy99

Sep 30, 2012, 02:50 am Last Edit: Sep 30, 2012, 03:17 am by That1guy99 Reason: 1
Turn on verbose output and post the results.

Verbose output?

Thank you all for the help. Like I said, I am still getting the error. I have checked connections, put a fresh chip on the board, messed around with the 10uf cap, made sure I had the core in the right folder and the text correct, rechecked all of that over 3 times, and I still get the error. I dont know what to do or what I am doing wrong. I am thinking about getting a couple of attiny45/85's and try to program them because they seem to be more popular and have been more successfully programmed with more stable cores..........or not.....

anyways, thanks for all the help :)

spcomputing

File -> Preferences -> Show verbose output during [ ] compilation [X} upload

nickgammon

Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info: http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

That1guy99

Sep 30, 2012, 04:18 am Last Edit: Sep 30, 2012, 05:02 am by That1guy99 Reason: 1
OH MY GOD IT WORKS!!!!!!!! I re downloaded the IDE and REinstalled the cores and it WORKS.
Time to go relax now that I have FINALLY made it work

Thanks for all this help guys:)

Go Up