Go Down

Topic: Alternatives to Pachube/Cosm (Read 33186 times) previous topic - next topic

greennomad

I'd like to send the data from my arduino-based sensor array to the net via my EthernetShield.  Pachube/Cosm has been very flakey.  Are there good alternatives?

Matt

PaulS

Are there good alternatives?

Quit thinking the world owes you anything. Get your own domain. Get it hosted. Use your own server/domain.

majenko

Quit thinking the world owes you anything. Get your own domain. Get it hosted. Use your own server/domain.

It takes moments to set up something like cosm using rrdtool.

PaulS

It takes moments to set up something like cosm using rrdtool.

On a server that someone else owns/pays for?

Using a domain that someone else owns/pays for?

No. The world does not owe OP a place to host his private data.

majenko

Of course on his own server.  But then, VPS's are ten a penny these days.

fkeel

dude, PaulS. He was asking a question...

greennomad

Hi. To close out this discussion, here are some of the alternatives to Pachube/Cosm I heard about:

http://open.sen.se

thingspeak.com

Thanks,

Matt

pico

Pachube/Cosm has been very flakey.

How so? Just curious -- I hadn't heard there were systemic problems.
WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

bsautner

just wanted to add nimbits to this list - nimbits.com is the only one that's completely open source:  http://www.nimbits.com

Techdetect

Ouch!  everyone, I thought that Arduino was all about being open sourced.  "OPEN" to ideas, comments, suggestions : "Sourced" to all with an open license, to share, to help when in NEED, for a common license.

This is the only reason that i felt comfortable using Arduino products and this website, because there are helpful people, bright people, who know no "domain". 

I am a old begginer, but who says you have to be too old to not learn something.  Who gave you the chance that you needed to get you where you are.  Times are tough for everyone, even me.  But i keep going like a duracel battery. Not to stop because the currents draw is too high, not to stop because i pack is too warm. 

I always say, "I don't give up, I don't back down, I don't give in"

Stay true to why you are here.. 8)

draythomp

I want to wake this discussion up a bit to see if there are any other alternatives to Cosm (Pachube).

And to short-circuit PaulS, I was a PAID subscriber to Pachube until they became COSM and cancelled my subscription and went to a free service.  The problem with free services is that you get what you pay for.  They have been down a number of times, various parts of the service quit from time to time, service is very slow in some respects, and haven't attended to the service in any meaningful way in months.
I suspect they will disappear at some point.

And,...the reason I'm looking for a service on the web instead of rolling my own is simple, I live in the land of flakey power and don't want to take on the expense of trying to keep something online 24x7 out in the country.

I looked at Nimbits and couldn't understand what the heck they were doing and how to hook into it.  The opening pages were so heavily jargoned that it looked like a different languge.  Sen.se was so esoteric and philosophical that I couldn't tell, technically, what they were actually doing.  A couple of others have disappeared altogether.

So, back to the OP's question.  What are the alternatives to Cosm?  If there are any.

PaulS

And,...the reason I'm looking for a service on the web instead of rolling my own is simple, I live in the land of flakey power and don't want to take on the expense of trying to keep something online 24x7 out in the country.

If you have your own domain, and your own web-hosting company hosting that domain (you do not have to do it yourself), they are responsible for keeping it online.

Of course, in the event of a power loss at your location, I'm not sure how you expect to access any web server.

So, back to the OP's question.  What are the alternatives to Cosm?  If there are any.

Do you mean services that someone else pays for?

draythomp

If you have your own domain, and your own web-hosting company hosting that domain (you do not have to do it yourself), they are responsible for keeping it online.

Of course, in the event of a power loss at your location, I'm not sure how you expect to access any web server.

True, but I really don't want to reinvent the wheel by coming up with my own storage, graph, etc code and then maintaining it instead of working on the sensors and controls I may want to deploy. 
Do you mean services that someone else pays for?

I thought I was clear on this.  I'm perfectly willing to pay my own way.  I did that with Pachube until they became Cosm and cancelled the subscription.  I looked at the rates quoted by nimbits, but couldn't understand what the heck they were talking about.

Don't misunderstand, money definitely is a concern, but a reasonably priced service to store data and provide tools to manipulate and display it would be nice.  Especially if I could actually read and understand their front matter.

PaulS

Don't misunderstand, money definitely is a concern, but a reasonably priced service to store data and provide tools to manipulate and display it would be nice.

I have my own domain ($35/year to keep it), and I pay $10 a month to have it hosted. On the server, I can create MySQL databases to store the data. I can use PHP to create scripts to display the data any way that I want.

I know that that is not the same as using existing tools and not having to worry about how/where the data is stored. But, that's what I'm comfortable with. I do not know of any free, or pay, services that provide what you want.

Go Up