Go Down

Topic: Alternatives to Pachube/Cosm (Read 33147 times) previous topic - next topic

JChristensen

Just tried to register with Grovestreams, it was quite an effort. The site does not seem to play well with Firefox. Chrome was much better. Anyone else notice this?

Just in case anyone else has this issue (symptom is dropdowns and other controls not working), it seems to be related to the avast! Firefox extension and avast! 2014 version. Disabling the extension allows the web site to work properly. I have opened a ticket with avast!

JChristensen

Dec 07, 2013, 12:57 am Last Edit: Dec 07, 2013, 01:00 am by Jack Christensen Reason: 1
I continue to be impressed with GroveStreams. The chart below summarizes a 25+ hour test I ran. My sketch started with SurferTim's GET method example, I added some stats to track number of posts, connect failures, timeouts, and response time. (Response time starts just before the connect, and stops after the response is received and the server disconnects.)

Data was sent to GroveStreams once per minute. No connect failures or timeouts were recorded. One post did get lost somehow. The sketch is completely open-loop, i.e. it posts the data but does not attempt to ascertain the success of the operation nor do any retries. Response time was very good, with about 97% under 1 second and about 99% under 1.5 seconds.

This test of course does not constitute a measurement of just GroveStreams, but also of my equipment and everything else in between. But I would have to say that this is phenomenally good performance as compared to my observations with other similar "IoT" services. So my gut feel is that GroveStreams is doing their part of the job quite well.

I'll be continuing to test in various ways, for now, the same sketch is still running. Check out the dashboard I created on GroveStreams, it updates once per minute. (The link is a guest logon, a terms-of-service agreement box will pop up, just OK it.)

draythomp

They implemented the SteelSeries gauges also, you can stick one on a dashboard and have a cool indicator.

m_elias

I'll continue to work on the sketch with the aim of removing all String usage. I'll post what I end up with. Right now I have:

Any updates? I plan to start my own testing setup shortly. I am trying emoncms.org but it looks to be oriented too much towards energy usage monitoring for my purposes and I find their graphing options either confusing or too limited.

JChristensen

Jan 08, 2014, 02:27 am Last Edit: Jan 08, 2014, 02:30 am by Jack Christensen Reason: 1

I'll continue to work on the sketch with the aim of removing all String usage. I'll post what I end up with. Right now I have:

Any updates? I plan to start my own testing setup shortly. I am trying emoncms.org but it looks to be oriented too much towards energy usage monitoring for my purposes and I find their graphing options either confusing or too limited.

Hi Matt, thanks for keeping me honest ;)  I thought the same about emoncms. Looks like a good platform, but too energy-specific for my purposes. I'm still quite impressed with GroveStreams and hope to be making more use of it soon. Attached is a test sketch that has been working well for a few weeks now. It just uses an analog temperature sensor (TMP36) and it also posts several statistics relative to communications with GroveStreams. It requires you to create a Component and data Streams within the Component, see the comments. Let me know if you have questions.

Code: [Select]
AVR Memory Usage
----------------
Device: atmega328p

Program:   14610 bytes (44.6% Full)
(.text + .data + .bootloader)

Data:        623 bytes (30.4% Full)
(.data + .bss + .noinit)

scargill

I have to say having tried several systems only to discover they are for Linux fanatics - or assume you know all about complicated standards etc, I went to Grovestreams who ARE free up to certain number of uses per month (large) and if you look at their example it uses Arduino strings - I simply stripped all that out in favour of char arrays... essentially it's a web page call with parameters including the values you want to send and an API key which you get off them at a touch of 2 buttons.... it's an absolute breeze to use. I set up 2 temperature inputs - there are dropdown boxes for operations such as averaging and interval which I didn't quite get until I set to AVERAGE - and intervals of an hour - and basically you can fire stuff off as often as you want to it - and every hour it will plot a point - averaging what you've sent in that time . Within minutes I had it running - and 3 days later I have internal and external graph plots superimposed on each other.  Really, it's worth a look. I took a look at Xively a while back just after all that name changing - and decided that life is WAY too short.
Regards

Peter Scargill
http://tech.scargill.net

cwrose

Aug 28, 2014, 06:09 pm Last Edit: Aug 28, 2014, 06:11 pm by cwrose Reason: 1
GroveStreams  looks like a pretty good idea; it took me an afternoon's messing around to understand how the "rollup" averaging system works, but after that it was straightforward.  It looks as if you can update every 5-6 minutes (with several values in an update) and stay within their free limits, though there are other possible charges (eg. SMS) over a certain limit.

I used to use COSM and had just got it set up when Xively rolled in, and I couldn't be bothered with the absence of graphing  facilities (which GroveStreams has in abundance).

All I can do now is hope that GroveStreams keeps running.

Will

draythomp

For folk that are worried about the costs of GroveStream, I've been at it about 10 months or so and I think I've paid a little over three dollars (total)  for the service.  That doesn't mean it can't cost more, the more you do, both input and output, raises the cost, but a little care and you can easily keep the costs down.

I'm not collecting transactions and throttling the upload, I send all measurements every minute.  So, if I ever want to, I can easily collect for a few minutes and send them up as a group.  So, when the expense gets to the dollar a month range, I'll look into that.  For now, 10 months, less than 4 bucks, isn't worth worrying about.

bacconi

when i have a report on my dashboard ,how i can put this on a webpage in arduino? you know some example?

Go Up