Go Down

Topic: Question regarding Serial Monitor (Read 602 times) previous topic - next topic

MariusSica

Hello,

I am quite new on using arduino/ucontrollers.
I have a question regarding a project.I am using an arduino mega 2560, for commanding 2 relays (using pin 12 and pin 13).
I am trying to do this from a different programming software but i run intro a problem when trying to send some command through rs232.

I noticed that unless i run the Serial Monitor from arduino development i can't send the required commands from my programming software.
My feeling is that the program from arduino starts running if i run serial monitor(correct me if i am wrong) .is there a way to do this from my programming software?

Thank you in advance.

groundFungus

Hard to say as we have no idea what programming software that you are using.  So, maybe.

Robin2

A problem that crops up here regularly is that people writing PC programs don't allow for the fact that the Arduino resets when the Serial port is opened.

This demo in Python may give you some ideas.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

PaulS

I noticed that unless i run the Serial Monitor from arduino development i can't send the required commands from my programming software.
My feeling is that the program from arduino starts running if i run serial monitor(correct me if i am wrong) .is there a way to do this from my programming software?

No, you are wrong. The Arduino program starts running as soon as power is supplied. It re-starts when the Serial Monitor is opened.

It will re-start when your programming software opens the serial port, too, if you open it correctly.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

arslanzaidi

Have you checked the baud rate? Arduino's own IDE always starts serial monitor at the baud rate you once define but other IDEs (I used Visual Micro for Visual Studio) always starts at 115200 (I was using 9600, so had to change every time upon opening Serial Monitor).

zoomkat

I am trying to do this from a different programming software but i run intro a problem when trying to send some command through rs232.

The arduino input is TTL, so have you made an inverter to convert rs232 to TTL levels, or are you still using the arduino USB serial interface?
Google forum search: Use Google Search box in upper right side of this page.
Why I like my 2005 Rio Yellow Honda S2000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWjMvrkUqX0

Go Up