Go Down

Topic: Arduino UNO fails to upload (first mismatch at byte 0x0000) (Read 4380 times) previous topic - next topic

saga3103

Hi, I got my arduino only a week ago and it has been working fine.

My computer had some issues so I had to do a major restore system. Upon connecting the arduino the computer didn't recognize it and when I tried to install the drivers it failed. I tried again and it worked, so I proceeded to do the blink test. However, when I uploaded the sketch, I got the following error:

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
             0x0c != 0xff
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

what could be the problem? It had been working just fine the night before. I tried resetting right before uploading, and tried it on another computer and it gives me the same error.

Thanks for the help

CrossRoads

That  sounds like data rate mismatch between PC and bootloader.
Do you have the right board type selected?
Sometimes you're better off after big changes like you did to re-boot to a known configuration and go from there.
I aggravated myself for hours once when I re-bootloaded my Duemilanove, only to have unknowingly put the Uno bootloader, and then have every serial upload fail - I had Duemilanove selected for the board , so PC was using 57600, while the board thought it was an Uno and looking for 115,200.

Seems like one or the other could be made a little smarter to determine a matching baud rate.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

saga3103

Thank you for your answer.

From what I understand (sorry I'm very new to microcontrollers) I have to reboot to a known configuration, are you talking about baud rate? How do I do that? Is there a setting I should change? Tomorrow a friend is going to let me borrow his arduino to test it on my computer. I'd like to say that I tried it also on my other laptop and had the same error, blinking sketch wouldn't load giving me the same message.

And yes I made sure I selected the correct board (UNO) and the correct (and only) port.

Thanks again for your help

CrossRoads

If you have a 2nd arduino that you can load sketches into, then you load one with a program that can download a bootloader into a 2nd arduino.

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11635

Just need to come up with 6 connections between the 2 boards.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

saga3103

So will that basically wipe out the "damaged" arduino and restore it to brand new settings? from what i understand that's what it does right?

Thanks a lot for your help.

CrossRoads

Yes. Altho not so much "damaged" as just not in sync anymore.

Go Up