Go Down

Topic: New Installation - UNO R3 (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

hdallimo

I have just installed the software and drivers for a UNO R3 on a Windows 7 computer.  The Device Manager indicates that device is connected to COM3.  The Arduino is connected and appears to be working correctly. (The LED is blinking.)  Initially, when I tried to upload a sketch there was a message stating that COM3 was already in use.  Now, when I open 'Tools' the Serial Port line is not bold and no serial port is shown.  When I attempt to upload a sketch I get the message:

avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

Suggestions?

NickPyner

Have you selected the board type and port in the Arduino IDE? The port, not the monitor. You should see this information in the bottom right corner of the iDE

The blinking LED doesn't really tell you much, other than that the board is (probably) not fried and the power is connected.   It doesn't need to be connected to the computer to do that.

cmiyc

What version of the IDE are you using?
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

hdallimo

I have selected UNO R3.  The Arduino version is 1.0.3.  I see 'Arduino UNO on COM3' in the botton right hand corner of the IDE.  Earlier in the installation I saw a message that COM3 was already in use.  I'll keep pressing on, but any other suggestions are welcome.

cmiyc

Two things:

1.  Disconnect the Uno and (re-)launch the IDE.  Does COM3 still show up in the Serial Port List?
2.  Try disabling / turning off Bluetooth.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

hdallimo

COM3 still shows up in the bottom RH corner of the IDE, but cannot be seen under the Tools menu.

Bluetooth has not be installed.

cmiyc

The bottom corner shows the last setting, not what ports are available.

The reason for checking the serial port menu after the board has been plugged in, is to make sure you are selecting the right com port.

Since you know for sure that Bluetooth has been disabled in services, you must go through your system and figure out what else uses a serial port (like cellular data cards).  Something is keeping your serial port open.

Go Up