Go Down

Topic: AMIGA 500/1000/2000 Keyboard Interface (Read 81025 times) previous topic - next topic

yserra

To all of you who arrived here to connect an Amiga 500/1000/2000/3000/4000 keyboard to an USB port on a modern PC/Mac/Raspberry Pi/whatever computer:

The Olaf-DrRemulak Arduino Leonardo script discussed here is quite obsolete now, since it missed the simpler functions from the Keyboard.h Arduino library, that are especially done for the purpose to convert old keyboards to USB ones.

Here is attached a better script from Janne Lof (I can't find anymore its original link on Internet, sorry).

I confirm this one works well with my A1000 keyboard and should work with all other Amiga keyboards with a controller onboard (so, all Amiga keyboards except the ones from A600 and A1200). I added a 'delay(300)' in the Caps Lock handling subroutine to make the caps lock comptatible with MacOS computers (and it still works with other computers).

herregaarden

Thank you yserra, this works great on my A500 keyboard with a leonardo. Could never get the older scripts to work properly.
The only thing i can't get working is the 2 joystick ports, i have tried with retropie and fsuae on linux, but i can not see the ports

polymorph

That's awesome! I would like to build an Amiga laptop using a Raspberry Pi, and it will be great to be able to use an actual Amiga keyboard. Of which I have many.
Steve Greenfield AE7HD
Drawing Schematics: tinyurl.com/23mo9pf - tinyurl.com/o97ysyx - https://tinyurl.com/Technote8
Multitasking: forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=223286.0
gammon.com.au/blink - gammon.com.au/serial - gammon.com.au/interrupts

fidelware

Aug 02, 2020, 08:29 am Last Edit: Aug 02, 2020, 10:46 pm by fidelware
Hello, first of all thank the people who have made this project possible.  has someone designed a STL case for PRINT it?

yanluowang_666

Sep 07, 2020, 08:23 pm Last Edit: Sep 08, 2020, 02:51 pm by yanluowang_666
Hello,

I wanted to do the amiga keyboard interface with one arduino pro micro.
I made the pcb and bought all the components. I used @yserra code (sketch_clavier_amigav3.I no", but when I insert the code inside the arduino software, I always have error on the code. If someone can help me?

For more information, i did this :
https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/Amiga_2000___3000___500_Keyboard_USB_adapter.html
I ordered pcb and all components.

fudmana

Sep 26, 2020, 02:20 am Last Edit: Sep 27, 2020, 02:32 am by fudmana
Made some Changes to the Pos #87 code (tried to repair)

Got Amiga 500 keyboard and and both of joy ports working.  (In Windows)

Now I can make RPI and Amiga 500 keyboard working system :)

(Amiga 500 case is still in transport :s )

RickMK

Oct 19, 2020, 02:42 pm Last Edit: Oct 19, 2020, 03:59 pm by RickMK
Keyboard not working for me and it's making my proper pc keyboard output mixed commands..

Pi can only see one joystick, windows can see two. not sue if its a name conflict on the pi ?

Will, investigate a bit more later...

Made some Changes to the Pos #87 code (tried to repair)

Got Amiga 500 keyboard and and both of joy ports working.  (In Windows)

Now I can make RPI and Amiga 500 keyboard working system :)

(Amiga 500 case is still in transport :s )

BrainSlugs83

FYI, I rewrote the original code (fixing several bugs that are present in both this version and that version).

For example the handshake delay is wrong in both (waaaay too high, even according to the Amiga HRM). -- And they both handle the number pad wrong.

Additionally, I added Bluetooth support on ESP32 devices.

I chose to base it off of the original version since it was more portable (e.g. it used actual pin numbers instead of the raw PORT values). -- It's still super responsive on both the Leonardo/Pro-Micro and on ESP32s devices.

Code is here: https://github.com/BrainSlugs83/Amiga500-Keyboard/blob/main/AmigaKeyboard.ino

chiark

Thanks, that works really well!  The only thing I have changed is the key mappings - however I realise this is personal preference!  One thing I couldn't get working was for KEY_RIGHT_GUI to act as the right windows key (menu key). I guess sending a shifted F10 is almost the same...

MisterFPGA, which I'm using this with, needs F11 and F12 so I'm tempted to map HELP to F12, too.  

Go Up