Go Down

Topic: Open/close ball valve with Arduino (Read 14393 times) previous topic - next topic

ajabogdanoff

Okay, after an hour in the Home Depot plumbing aisle, I tested the manifold system today:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl5gW2sZ_bw[/media]

It's not 100% perfect, but I wasn't expecting it to be at this point.  The important part is that the water is making it all the way to the end...  it'll just be a matter of fine-tuning the valves once the pump arrives next week.  For today I used a 10 foot gravity feed, which should be about 4 PSI, less than the pump I ordered.  It's a diaphragm pump, very gentle on the liquid, and safe for drinking water.  I know people use it for transferring wine to barrels.  

I think this is going to work!  Fun stuff.  :)

mfm9

Aja,

It sounds like you're going to a lot of trouble to reinvent the wheel, er, valve.

A simpler (but possibly more expensive) solution would be to use a solenoid valve.  This is an electrically operated valve, which, with some additional circuitry, could be controlled by an Arduino.  Google 'solenoid valve' for lots of hits.  I'm guessing you could find a food-grade valve that wouldn't hurt, or be hurt by, the beer.

If you really want to go high-tech, put in six solenoid valves, one for each bottle, and six optical sensors to detect when each bottle is full, so you know when to shut off that bottle's valve.  You might even be able to have the optical sensor detect the presence or absence of a bottle, so you could fill fewer than six bottles, since it wouldn't turn on the valve if a bottle weren't present.

I'm looking forward to seeing the video of the finished product, however you do it!  Just thinking about it is making me thirsty!!

-Mike

ajabogdanoff

I totally agree, I'm going to go with this solenoid that retrolefty suggested:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290351616928#ht_2016wt_779

The pump and some hose barb adapters will arrive next week, and then I'll find out if the timing plan will work, or if I'll need to set up some weight sensors or something to automate the shutoff.  Either way, this is going to be a much better system than the way I bottle beer now.  :)

retrolefty

Code: [Select]
I think this is going to work!  Fun stuff.  

Nice start. Damn I'm getting thirsty.  ;D

Lefty

Go Up