Go Down

Topic: IDE 1.8.0 Released -- update: 1.8.9 (Read 133226 times) previous topic - next topic

MAS3

Hi and welcome.

I've been playing with Raspberry Pi since about 2 weeks now, so to me it's all new.
I don't know how well you are familiar with Linux.
I found out that installing (something other than the Arduino IDE) requires to use an option on sudo.
So try this in front of the apt-get:

Code: [Select]
sudo -i

If you are more advanced in Linux OS then i am and aready know how to do this kind of things, which is quite likely, you'd have to inspect (or share in this thread) the output you get right before the installation fails.
Because that log is very likely to show reasons about what went wrong.

Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

pert

I found out that installing (something other than the Arduino IDE) requires to use an option on sudo.
So try this in front of the apt-get:

Code: [Select]
sudo -i
I know you said "something other than the Arduino IDE", but I still feel I need to make this clear to Eleventhumbs: Don't ever use apt-get or apt install to install the Arduino IDE. You will get an extremely outdated version of the Arduino IDE if you do that. Always download the official Arduino IDE from the downloads page of this website:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
For all Raspberry Pi, you need to use the "Linux ARM 32 bits" download link. DO NOT use the "Linux ARM 64 bits" download link.

ndjock

Hello, I just upgrade to 1.8.9 from 1.8.8. When I launch 1.8.9 it loads to Preparing Boards and disappears.
I looked into the debug.exe when 1.8.9 runs java it does not finish. Does anyone know why?

pert

Hello, I just upgrade to 1.8.9 from 1.8.8. When I launch 1.8.9 it loads to Preparing Boards and disappears.
I looked into the debug.exe when 1.8.9 runs java it does not finish. Does anyone know why?
Do you mean arduino_debug.exe?

Please post the full text of the output when you run arduino_debug.exe. You need to run it from cmd.

UKHeliBob

Why do some people have an insane desire to upgrade the IDE when the one they currently have works OK for them ?

Does 1.8.9 have some killer new features or bug fixes ?
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

ndjock

Do you mean arduino_debug.exe?

Please post the full text of the output when you run arduino_debug.exe. You need to run it from cmd.
C:\Users\nicol\arduino-1.8.8>arduino_debug.exe
Loading configuration...
Initializing packages...
Preparing boards...
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at processing.app.BaseNoGui.onBoardOrPortChange(BaseNoGui.java:679)
        at processing.app.Base.onBoardOrPortChange(Base.java:1312)
        at processing.app.Base$12.actionPerformed(Base.java:1539)
        at processing.app.Base.rebuildBoardsMenu(Base.java:1489)
        at processing.app.Base.<init>(Base.java:273)
        at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:151)

As you can see I when back to 1.8.8. What happens is: when I execute Arduino.exe the  window comes up. It start to initializing packages it finishes then start preparing boards then the window goes away.

pert

As you can see I when back to 1.8.8. What happens is: when I execute Arduino.exe the  window comes up. It start to initializing packages it finishes then start preparing boards then the window goes away.
Let me be sure I understand: You were originally having a problem after you updated to Arduino IDE 1.8.9 from a working Arduino IDE 1.8.8 installation, but now you went back to using Arduino IDE 1.8.8 and are still having the same problem. Is that correct?

If you create a folder named portable under C:\Users\nicol\arduino-1.8.8, does the problem still occur?

ndjock

Let me be sure I understand: You were originally having a problem after you updated to Arduino IDE 1.8.9 from a working Arduino IDE 1.8.8 installation, but now you went back to using Arduino IDE 1.8.8 and are still having the same problem. Is that correct?

If you create a folder named portable under C:\Users\nicol\arduino-1.8.8, does the problem still occur?
First off Thank You for helping me! I created C:\Users\nicol\portable\arduino-1.8.8 and I still have to same problem.

ndjock

First off Thank You for helping me! I created C:\Users\nicol\portable\arduino-1.8.8 and I still have ths same problem.

pert

Try using the hourly build of the Arduino IDE to check whether this is caused by a bug that has been fixed by the Arduino developers after the 1.8.9 release:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software#hourly

ndjock

Try using the hourly build of the Arduino IDE to check whether this is caused by a bug that has been fixed by the Arduino developers after the 1.8.9 release:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software#hourly
Thanks again for your help! I have great news! I found the problem, I remove the Arduino version I was using first, then delete all AppDate (Arduino). Then I install new Arduino Version.

pert

Thanks for taking the time to post an update ndjock. I'm glad to hear you found a solution. Enjoy!
Per

manavfreak

Something is wrong with this print, but still if it is good and latest I want it. I am using it since ling time. Can anyone guide me which window is latest and which one I buy and I would like to pay through my credit card.

UKHeliBob

Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

Go Up