Forum Website Down

I think you have a serious misconception of what a global moderator's role i(s)

We're also not omniscient - no-one (to the best of my knowledge) has used the "report to moderators" control on this thread.

It should be obvious to a Global Mod. Considering you need it pointed out, it wouldn't do much good.

still waiting on this one.

You should not be a Global Moderator when you admit this:

Quote from: AWOL on Today at 12:33:32
I have no (nil, zippo, naff-all) knowledge of SMF, moderator slots, permissions or privileges, and until I retire and have some spare time, I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in acquiring such knowledge, and even then I can't imagine I'll be that excited about it.

You should be at minimum a board Moderator, but not a Global Moderator

despite you not being able to locate the "report to moderator" control on every single post on the forum (yes, really!), and despite you misunderstanding the difference between a moderator and an administrator, I feel compelled to tender my resignation and my sincerest apologies to the forum for posing as an unqualified moderator for the last twenty months.

PaulS:
Modeller, I think you have a serious misconception of what a global moderator's role it. Moderators of any level are NOT administrators.

Who said they were? No Paul, I know exactly what a Global Moderator is supposed to do. I've been one. I've assigned people to that role. I know what an Administrator is supposed to do because I am one on two other SMF forums that are properly set up as far as Admins, Globals, and board moderators. I know everything about what all these positions can do, so there is no way I can be confused about it.

I don't have a clue what you mean by "Moderators of any level are NOT administrators." I've already explained what all those roles are supposed to do. I know what I'm talking about.

AWOL:

I think you have a serious misconception of what a global moderator's role i(s)

We're also not omniscient - no-one (to the best of my knowledge) has used the "report to moderators" control on this thread.

I don't have any idea what that means in terms of this conversation.

still waiting on this one.

OK.

despite you not being able to locate the "report to moderator" control on every single post on the forum (yes, really!), and despite you misunderstanding the difference between a moderator and an administrator, I feel compelled to tender my resignation and my sincerest apologies to the forum for posing as an unqualified moderator for the last twenty months.

I have no misunderstanding between an Administrator and a Global Moderator. Sorry, but I know what I'm talking about in this area. Why are you all are so scared and frightened by my knowledge of SMF forums? I mean it's amazing. I can't make you do anything, so what's the problem?

Nobody should be afraid of information from an expert. Why don't you calm down and consider, possibly, maybe, I might just know what I'm talking about. I'd do the same for your knowledge of the Arduino.

Scared?
Frightened?
I don't understand your use of language - it seems to me to be confrontational.
Is English your mother tongue?
I'm guessing not.

I don't have any idea what that means in terms of this conversation.

It means I do not, and cannot, read every post in every thread on every section. I'm assuming that goes for the other mods too. No one brought this thread to the attention of the moderators, so it isn't surprising that no moderators responded, which makes your "Wow!" response above all the more disappointing.

I'd do the same for your knowledge of the Arduino.

You'd be astonished how limited that is too. :wink:

Why don't you calm down

Calm? Me?
I'm so chilled, you could keep a side of beef (horse, if you work for Tesco) fresh in me for weeks.

AWOL:
Scared?
Frightened?
I don't understand your use of language - it seems to me to be confrontational.
Is English your mother tongue?
I'm guessing not.

It is. But that's my perception of your reaction. You seem unsure of your moderator status. That's how it sounds to me.

It means I do not, and cannot, read every post in every thread on every section. I'm assuming that goes for the other mods too. No one brought this thread to the attention of the moderators, so it isn't surprising that no moderators responded, which makes your "Wow!" response above all the more disappointing.

Why does it need to be brought to their attention? In this type of board, all the threads should be if interest to the moderators, or at least the Admins. That's because of the nature of the board. It's about the website and forum. Who else would it concern but the staff of the forum (and the owner too).

You'd be astonished how limited that is too. :wink:

I think you underestimate yourself in this area.

I'm so chilled, you could keep a side of beef (horse, if you work for Tesco) fresh in me for weeks.

Well, I suggest we try to start over, or just drop it, because I don't want my advice to start upsetting people.

But it's too bad it does.

You seem unsure of your moderator status.

Oh no. Not me. ]:smiley:

In this type of board, all the threads should be if interest to the moderators

Get real.

I'm going to have to admit I skimmed most of this thread. It isn't really my job to read every thread on the forum. I try to help with technical questions if I can, and respond to "report to moderator" messages.

To address one of your issues, modeller, I (and a few others) are Global Moderators simply, I believe (and I could be wrong), that it is an easy way for the forum admins to set up a person to address issues on every board (section). So say, for example, there is spam in "E-Textiles and Craft" I can deal with it. However I'm not an expert on E-Textiles, and don't visit that part often.

I've looked at SMF briefly, and I gather that each level of moderator has permissions which can be altered by the forum administrators. I suppose they could assign the permission to get rid of spam to every moderator (maybe they have).

I just read page 1 of this thread. I'm uncertain how we got from "forum down" to "moderator permissions are wrong" but to be honest, I'm not that interested in reading all 7 pages to find out.

AWOL:

In this type of board, all the threads should be if interest to the moderators

Get real.

Oh I'm always real. I'm the real deal - can't you tell by now? :slight_smile:

modeller:
In this type of board, all the threads should be if interest to the moderators, or at least the Admins.

Seriously? I don't even speak all those languages, but even given you mean the ones in English, I'm more interested in spending time helping people with technical questions than reading every last post. I doubt the admins have even as much time as I do.

Hello Nick, thanks for the nice response.

Sorry for the hard opinion on this business, but I really do know SMF very, very well. Shoot, I even hang out on the SMF support forum every day - like you guys do here. Yea, I really do that. :slight_smile:

I just think the way the Mods are set up isn't the best, and I'm sorry for perhaps opening my mouth about it. For example - look at the General Discussion board. Most of the Admins are listed as board mods - that's just really silly, because the Admins can do anything they want to on the forum. I'm sorry, but I notice those types of things like you guys notice badly biased transistors.

I'll try to dial it back. But I do have suggestions if you guys ever want them.

I just read page 1 of this thread. I'm uncertain how we got from "forum down" to "moderator permissions are wrong" but to be honest, I'm not that interested in reading all 7 pages to find out.

It's derailed now - totally derailed.

modeller:
For example - look at the General Discussion board. Most of the Admins are listed as board mods - that's just really silly, ...

That's probably legacy from when they set up the forum, probably starting with General Discussion.

Don't feel too bad, suggestions I make get ignored too.

Interesting reading

(That's "reading", not "Reading". Dear me, no. Reading isn't at all interesting, even worse than Bracknell)

[quote author=Nick Gammon link=topic=149438.msg1152411#msg1152411 date=1363041186]... I'm more interested in spending time helping people with technical questions than reading every last post. I doubt the admins have even as much time as I do.
[/quote]

I just saw this response.

Well, you know the solution to that problem as well as I do.

Get more volunteers. This is one of the busiest forums I've registered on. I can't believe the amount of posts per day. I joined up hoping I could follow them all but I had no idea of the amount of traffic here. IMHO, you really need more volunteers to moderate to keep an eye on things and to respond to the suggestions given by members and to forward good ones to the owners.

I don't think that's a bad idea.

AWOL:
Interesting reading

(That's "reading", not "Reading". Dear me, no. Reading isn't at all interesting, even worse than Braknell)

Yes, I've looked at that. It's amazing the amount of traffic here. Thus, the need for every board to have moderators.

I think you might be confusing what I mean by moderators as opposed to electronics/programming helpers/experts on the forum. In my mind, they are two different types of "people". They can be the same type of person, but many times they don't have to be. I could moderate a forum on knitting fairly well and not know a damn thing about it. But I can't be an expert knitting helper person. That might be part of the confusion.

I could moderate a forum on knitting fairly well and not know a damn thing about it.

yup, that's me and Arduino.
There's no confusion.

AWOL:
It means I do not, and cannot, read every post in every thread on every section. I'm assuming that goes for the other mods too.

Yup.

AWOL:
Interesting reading

Top Topic Starters... Coding Badly

How the hell did that happen?

You have a lot of interesting ideas. :slight_smile:

Actually it's because when you move a thread you "start a new topic", I'm guessing.

I wish!

Actually it's because when you move a thread you "start a new topic", I'm guessing.

That's my guess as well. How odd. I obsessively move threads to where they "belong" but my desk is a cluttered disaster. I wonder why obsessive-compulsive behaviour applies to one but not the other?