Wireless IP camera and rover

Hello,
Let me start by conveying my excitement!!! I have only recently discovered the Arduino products while I was searching the web for a way to remotely control via the internet robotic cameras/rovers. Today I found this forum and I am supper excited!!

As stated above, I am searching for a way to use a wireless PTZ IP camera with a rover track base (wheels). Simply put, I want to mount an IP camera on wheels :slight_smile:

I thought it might be possible to use the output signals of the camera (the ones that control the pan and tilt motors) and connect them to the roverโ€™s wheel/track motors. That way I could control the rover movement.

I am assuming this could not be done directly and that I would need some sort of drive card or a converter of some kind.

Would anyone have an idea how this could be achieved?

Many many thanks in advance,
Michael.J

A link to the camera you are using if the first order of business.

This cam is currently the one I would like to order but I can go with any IP wireless IR cam.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenvis-JPT3815W-IP-Camera-Wireless-PanTilt-WIFI-Audio-Webcam-iPhone-Android-CCTV-/181032426814?pt=US_Security_Cameras&hash=item2a265f9d3e

Thanks for replying
Michael.J

Am I over complicating things with wanting to use the wifi camera as the controller??
Would it be easier to build an Arduino wifi controlled rover?
If so, which boards and parts would I have to purchase in order to do this?

I would really appreciate your help.

you could do it like this

Bingo!! Thanks for the post cyberteque.
So all I need to control a rover over the internet is:
Arduino Mega2560 Rev3
WiFly Shield
Dagu Rover 5 Tracked Chassis
Would I need anything else? Would I also need a controller? Which one?

Last time I checked, the Dagu 5 Chassis does NOT contain a motor controller; just a Tamaiya Gearbox with 2 motors. Buy your self a low amp(2-) DC motor controller. I believe the rover you want uses two 3v motors, going up to 1.9A when stalled.

Some thoughts from a while back on a simple router bot. Prices have dropped now that a mega and 5100 ethernet shield can be had for $30 on ebay and a netgear 614 router from walmart for $25.

http://www.lynxmotion.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6343

zoomkat:
Some thoughts from a while back on a simple router bot. Prices have dropped now that a mega and 5100 ethernet shield can be had for $30 on ebay and a netgear 614 router from walmart for $25.

http://www.lynxmotion.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6343

Interesting prices.
Do you happen to know the range of such a bot, compared to regular 2.4GHz module?

Do you happen to know the range of such a bot, compared to regular 2.4GHz module?

I can'y say as I don't know the range of the 2.4GHz modules. A lot has to do with weather there are obstructions between the bot and its control. If you already have a wireless router, you can experiment with it (that is what I did, just disconnected the router from the cable modem and controlled it wirelessly via a web page on my laptop). Some routers have connections for high gain antennas, and multiple ethernet jacks allow for use of an ethernet shield and an IP cam.