Go Down

Topic: Arduino UNO R3 not showing in windows (Read 4574 times) previous topic - next topic

rbatriu

I have a problem with my Arduino UNO R3.

When I got it out of the box it worked nice, it's showed on the device manager, installed drivers and everything was OK. Tried the Blinking LED example and it was OK.

I built a circuit to get temperature readings from a DS18B20 sensor and I copied a program from the web. It worked OK. Then I tried to modify the program and I think I screwed it because the program was continually sending data to the serial port. I was not aware that this was a problem until de Arduino and it's COM port disappeared.

Now when I connect the Arduino to my system (W7x64) I hear the USB connected device sound but the device doesn't show, not under Ports neither under unknown devices.

I've tried it with a Windows XP 32bit system and 3 different USB wires (all of them working OK on other devices like external HDDs, printers, joysticks...) and it has the same behaviour.

When I plug it green led is ON, and led 13 blinks for a moment and then stays ON.

I've tried to remove the ATMEGA328P-PU chip because I thought that if the problem was my program, removing the chip would stop running the program, but connecting the board withot the chip presents the same behaviour.

Is my Arduino dead? Any idea?

Thanks!

cmiyc

If you removed the ATmega328 and it still wouldn't show up, it suggests there is a problem with the atmega16u2.  You might try looking for the dfu directions to reflash it.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

rbatriu

If you removed the ATmega328 and it still wouldn't show up, it suggests there is a problem with the atmega16u2.  You might try looking for the dfu directions to reflash it.

I've tried to put the 16u2 in DFU mode but it doesn't show on the devices.

cmiyc

How good are you with SMT soldering?
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

rbatriu

rbatriu

cmiyc

You might try reprogramming the chip with a icsp programmer. 

My younger-in-cheek idea is to replace the atmega16u2.

rbatriu

Mar 03, 2013, 07:40 pm Last Edit: Mar 03, 2013, 07:42 pm by rbatriu Reason: 1
Replacing the chip is out of my skill...

I don't have an ICSP programmer, but I've read somewhere (don't remember where, I've spent nearly all day surfing to find a solution) than another Arduino can be used as programmer. If that it's right maybe I should order another Arduino and try to fix the one I have... if I can't fix it at least I'll have another Arduino.  :)

What I can't understand is what I did wrong.

Matthew5

I have a bit of a problem. The device manager does not recognize the Arduino and/or there is a problem with loading the device driver or getting the computer to recognize it.

I have just purchased a Getting Started with Arduino book read it and purchased a Arduino UNO Rev 3. I downloaded the IDE and copied the first program. It verified. When downloaded it generated the error message: avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb". I am using Windows 7. This is my first try at this. I have Stamps that run fine. The device manager does not recognize the Arduino. I pointed the computer to the drivers to the correct file even though there is no file ArduinoUNO.inf as stated in the book, a new differently named driver.

Thoughts? Isn't there a simple procedure for doing this?

rbatriu

Just an update.

After all night in it's box, today morning I pluged it and teh COM port appeared for a while, maybe half a minute or so. Then disappeared to not appear anymore.

lesotutte65

When I got it out of the box it worked nice, it's showed on the device manager, installed drivers and everything was OK. Tried the Blinking LED example and it was OK.

I built a circuit to get temperature readings from a DS18B20 sensor and I copied a program from the web. It worked OK. Then I tried to modify the program and I think I screwed it because the program was continually sending data to the serial port. I was not aware that this was a problem until de Arduino and it's COM port disappeared.

Now when I connect the Arduino to my system (W7x64) I hear the USB connected device sound but the device doesn't show, not under Ports neither under unknown devices.

I've tried it with a Windows XP 32bit system and 3 different USB wires (all of them working OK on other devices like external HDDs, printers, joysticks...) and it has the same behaviour.

When I plug it green led is ON, and led 13 blinks for a moment and then stays ON.

I've tried to remove the ATMEGA328P-PU chip because I thought that if the problem was my program, removing the chip would stop running the program, but connecting the board withot the chip presents the same behaviour.

Thanks!

I have the same problem. For two weeks my Arduino UNO R3 worked ok but with the last program that I tried (temperature circuit) the board cannot been shown in Win 7.
I asked directly to Arduino's support but no answer. I've tried with different pc and environments, different usb cables and ports, but device manager cannot find any new hardware.
There is a workaround about this problem or is defective the board?

rbatriu

Thanks!

I have the same problem. For two weeks my Arduino UNO R3 worked ok but with the last program that I tried (temperature circuit) the board cannot been shown in Win 7.
I asked directly to Arduino's support but no answer. I've tried with different pc and environments, different usb cables and ports, but device manager cannot find any new hardware.

I don't know where's the problem, I haven't fixed mine yet and I think I'll RMA it. What kind of sensor did you use? Mine was a DS18B20.

lesotutte65

Thanks!

I don't know where's the problem, I haven't fixed mine yet and I think I'll RMA it. What kind of sensor did you use? Mine was a DS18B20.

I don't know the right sensor's code, I used the sensor inside the 'Arduino Starter Kit'. But the problem now is: how obtain the RMA from Arduino? I've posted specific trouble (automatic service return to me an id) last week, but at the moment no answer!

rbatriu

Thanks!

I don't know the right sensor's code, I used the sensor inside the 'Arduino Starter Kit'. But the problem now is: how obtain the RMA from Arduino? I've posted specific trouble (automatic service return to me an id) last week, but at the moment no answer!

Well, I'll try to RMA it at the shop I bought it.

Go Up