Go Down

Topic: Arduino as ISP programmer - slow sck clock (Read 2976 times) previous topic - next topic

genni96

Hello, i have some problems.
I'm trying to write fuses and flash of some Atmega163 smd using Arduino 2009 as ISP programmer.
After many troubles i was able to read the correct signature with avrdude, but i can't write anything because avrdude tell me that there is a verification error when i try to write fuses or falsh.
After I have searched on internet I think that the problem is the sck speed too fast, because the Atmega163 are virgin and thus they are programmed to operate with internal 1MHZ oscillator.
I know that the USBASP programmer has a jumper to slow the clock for virgin micros, how can i slow the clock using arduino as programmer?
Sorry for my English, unfortunately I'm Italian!

silverfox0786

Hello, i have some problems.
I'm trying to write fuses and flash of some Atmega163 smd using Arduino 2009 as ISP programmer.
After many troubles i was able to read the correct signature with avrdude, but i can't write anything because avrdude tell me that there is a verification error when i try to write fuses or falsh.
After I have searched on internet I think that the problem is the sck speed too fast, because the Atmega163 are virgin and thus they are programmed to operate with internal 1MHZ oscillator.
I know that the USBASP programmer has a jumper to slow the clock for virgin micros, how can i slow the clock using arduino as programmer?
Sorry for my English, unfortunately I'm Italian!

I wasn't aware that a 163 can be used what arduino model are you flashing I thought it was a 168 that's used or Atmega8

also have you added a 10uF electrolytic capacitor from reset to ground on the ISP Arduino

negative to ground and positive to reset

hiduino

I used my Arduino Duemilanove with ArduinoISP and was able to program an ATtiny85@1MHz and an ATtiny84A@1MHz.  So you should be fine at 1MHz without having to modifying the ArduinoISP.

What I've seen on verification errors are sometimes bad wire connections, bad solder joints, noise interference.  I would recommend a couple of 100nF decoupling capacitors near the ATmega163 power pins.

However, if the ATmega163 internal clock is lower than 1MHz then you will need to slow down the ArduinoISP.  For this I would recommend Coding-Badly's TinyISP sketch.  This is a direct alternative to ArduinoISP.  There are several nice features of TinyISP, slow sck clock option, serial debug option, and a knockbang debug option.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,154217.msg1164178.html#msg1164178
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,154217.msg1164208.html#msg1164208

genni96

Thanks for reply, I alredy used the 10uF capacitor to disable auto-reset, I will try the 100nF capacitors near to power pin and this Coding-Badly's TinyISP sketch.

silverfox0786

Go Up