Go Down

Topic: Did I fry my Leonadrdo? (Read 3677 times) previous topic - next topic

comrad

Used it just fine for several weeks.  Today had a sketch running on USB, switched to a 6V DC and it ran for a little bit, then stopped responding.  USB will not recognize a device when I plug it in, so I fail the loop-back test on step 5.  Tried different cables too.  Tried to reset with shorting the RESET pin to GND, holding the reset button longer, shorting RX and TX pins.

When either USB or DC power is plugged in, the L diode and ON diode stay on constantly.  The board stays completely non-responsive in all other ways.  I'm on is a Leonardo R3 and a Mac.  I havent found anything via google or the search here that is the same problem.  Could anyone help me understand what this could be, and if maybe there is a fix?

StereoBucket

Tried reinstalling drivers or reflashing the bootloader?
-BEWARE:I'm newb.I don't know what I am doing.
-Use what I said but if it fails I'm not responsible.

cmiyc

Where did you apply the 6V?
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

comrad

I plugged in a wallwart style supply into the 2.1mm power jack on the Leonardo.  The PSU output is rated at 6V and 240mA.

I did look into flashing the bootloader by following this page: http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/DFUProgramming8U2.  The problem is that my device does not get recognized by the OS at this point, so dfu-programmer has nowhere to write to.  I also reinstalled the Arduino IDE, which on the Mac consists of deleting it from Applications and then downloading and running it again.  The issue seems to be currently in the fact that the board is completely frozen and won't get recognized by computer.

StereoBucket

See that 6 pin socket on the board?
Take a programmer that is supported by an arduino IDE.
Plug it into that socket and in the board menu select your board and in the programmer menu select the programmer you are using.
Then click the Burn bootloader.
http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Bootloader
Better read this.
My tips may be off.
http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

cmiyc

You might need to get an actual programmer to reflash the chips.  Maybe the bootloader got corrupted.

Running 6V at the barrel would have resulted in less than 5V out of the regulator, depending on the current load.  So it's hard to say what the chips did.

Unless the 6V supply wasn't center-positive, I doubt permanent damage was done from the supply.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

StereoBucket

You might need to get an actual programmer to reflash the chips.  Maybe the bootloader got corrupted.

Running 6V at the barrel would have resulted in less than 5V out of the regulator, depending on the current load.  So it's hard to say what the chips did.

Unless the 6V supply wasn't center-positive, I doubt permanent damage was done from the supply.

It's something like that case when the power went a bit crazy and for some reason HDD in an old PC formated itself.
No permanent damage except for data loss.
Well I guess my little knowledge about arduino wasn't as small as i thought.
Anyway comrad the links are here.
Check them out.
Get another arduino or AVR programmer and you are all set for repair.

JoeN

Mar 08, 2013, 09:09 pm Last Edit: Mar 08, 2013, 09:11 pm by JoeN Reason: 1
That jack goes through a regulator.  If anything, 6V is probably too low and it can handle up to 20V.  7-12V is the recommended range.
I will never ask you to do anything that I wouldn't do myself.

StereoBucket

Yeah you should be careful.
I got some cheap ac to dc adaptor.
No matter what load i put the voltage is always above ratings.

JoeN

Yeah you should be careful.
I got some cheap ac to dc adaptor.
No matter what load i put the voltage is always above ratings.

That would be a problem, except for the fact there is an onboard quality voltage regulator.  Whatever happened, it didn't happen because of an overvoltage condition.

StereoBucket

I'm guessing Leo had a glitch and it corrupted it's bootloader.
Let's wait for comrad and see if he managed to flash the bootloader.

comrad

Thank you all so far.  I will get one of those programmers and update on what happens.  It might be a little while before I get it.  (no parallel ports at this house unfortunately :) )

comrad

Got a USPasp programmer from ebay.  Plugged into the 6-pin header on the Leonardo board.  When I plug the programmer into my usb, it lights up, the Leonardo board also lights up.  The same story as before, the L and ON leds turn on and stay on.  When I run avrdude commands the usb programmer flashes, so I think it's working.  I can't seem to get a connection to the Leonardo though, here is the error:

Code: [Select]
avrdude -c usbasp -p m32u4 -P usb -v

avrdude: Version 5.11.1, compiled on Mar 17 2013 at 22:51:17
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/usr/local/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/max/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : usbasp
         AVR Part                      : ATmega32U4
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PA0
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    10     8    0 no       1024    8      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : usbasp
         Description     : USBasp, http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

avrdude: auto set sck period (because given equals null)
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

JoeN

Mar 18, 2013, 08:52 pm Last Edit: Mar 18, 2013, 09:03 pm by JoeN Reason: 1
The programming port basically is 4 pins directly into the microcontroller plus power and ground.  If that doesn't work, and I am assuming that your host software and programmer are set up correctly (does it work with another board?), then that is a real good indicator the microcontroller is dead or not receiving power.  I bet it has power if the LEDs are being lit but you could check the power pins with a logic probe or multimeter.

You can see the directness of the connections here:

http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/arduino-leonardo-schematic_3b.pdf

If the programmer works on other boards, yeah, I guess you fried it.

I'd say solder on a new microcontroller, but then you have to deal with the bootloader issue.  You should be able to do that with your programmer.  Could be an interesting project...

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ATMEGA32U4-MU/ATMEGA32U4-MU-ND/1914603

StereoBucket

It's going to be a problem if he doesn't have the hot air soldering pump.
Or skills with it.

Go Up