Go Down

Topic: Did I fry my Leonadrdo? (Read 3668 times) previous topic - next topic

JoeN

Mar 19, 2013, 06:37 am Last Edit: Mar 19, 2013, 06:40 am by JoeN Reason: 1

It's going to be a problem if he doesn't have the hot air soldering pump.
Or skills with it.

Hot air soldering pump, whatever that is, is not necessary.

1.  Remove IC:  Chip quik.
2.  Mount IC:  Drag soldering or maybe just solder it normally using a 1/64 tip.

No need for any special equipment, though I agree on the skills part, this requires a good 4 out of 10 skill level at soldering to accomplish.
I will never ask you to do anything that I wouldn't do myself.

StereoBucket

Hot air soldering gun.
A pump that blows really hot air.
Melts solder just like regular soldering iron.
It's good for removing IC's.

JoeN

Hot air soldering gun.
A pump that blows really hot air.
Melts solder just like regular soldering iron.
It's good for removing IC's.

There seems to be a bunch of different terms for that item.  Mine is "hot air rework station" because that is what Sparkfun calls it and I bought one from them, they are very useful.  Too bad they have been out for a while, they had a great price on a good one.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10706
I will never ask you to do anything that I wouldn't do myself.

comrad

I was able to program an ATmega168 and ATtiny2313 chips via breadboard using my ebay programmer and a crystal I found.  With ATmega168 I am even able to upload using programmer with Arduino IDE.  With the 2313 I had to use AVR-GCC.

Leonardo must be dead.  SMD soldering is something I want to get into someday.  I think for now I will have to get another Arduino version for under $20.  And also learn now to communicate with the standalone chips via serial, I bought a USB-to-RS232 TTL adapter on ebay.  Serial monitor is what I miss the most with the raw chips right now.

Go Up