Go Down

Topic: First time soldering (Read 6121 times) previous topic - next topic

Valalvax

So, for some reason, I've never soldered before, I blame the school system, anyway, did a few joints, wanted to see if they're acceptable before continuing to all 16.

I've determined, I should have gotten a soldering iron, not a soldering gun, that tip didn't look so big in the box O.o

http://www.flickr.com/photos/valalvax/sets/72157625751683466/

Please forgive the terrible picture I'm about as good at taking photos as I am at soldering, I took about 15 and that was the best one

I do have a small section of board I burnt to the right of the right most pin, the topmost layer is coming up a bit

Anyway, into the lions den I go..

retrolefty

Yea using a soldering gun for pcb electronics is like using an elephant gun to hunt squirrels. But you learned something, right? Why not search the web for a soldering tutorial of such. Soldering is not difficult it just takes practice and the correct tools and material.

Here is the first one google coughed up:

http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htm

Lefty

Valalvax

Jan 05, 2011, 07:47 am Last Edit: Jan 05, 2011, 07:48 am by Valalvax Reason: 1
Yea, I actually read that exact one, I was hoping for more interactive feedback, do the joints look like they'd work, or not?

(I'm not dumb enough to believe that they're GOOD joints heh)

Next time there's a need for a trip to Home Depot, I'll pick up an iron...

I actually learned two things, Molten Solder, as the name implies, is really hot :P

wortelsoft

About taking pictures make sure there is enough light around. Disable the flash. If your camera has a macro (mostly a picture of a flower) use that for taking the pictures.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Using-your-digital-cameras-macro-mode-4848

keeper63

I do have a small section of board I burnt to the right of the right most pin, the topmost layer is coming up a bit

I'd be concerned about that part, personally. Without seeing some clear pictures of the damage, though, its difficult to say whether you have a problem or not.

Soldering guns (if I am thinking what you have) are typically used for large joints on metal (such as sheet metal); but you haven't posted a pic of your gun, so I don't know what you really have (I have, for instance, a soldering gun that puts out over 100 watts - its a big monstrous thing).

You want to look for an iron/pencil that puts out about 15-25 watts or so for general purpose thru-hole electronics soldering.
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Divyanshu

retrolefty

Jan 05, 2011, 07:45 pm Last Edit: Jan 05, 2011, 07:47 pm by retrolefty Reason: 1
I suck at soldering  

Then just stick to being a programmer. ;)  Rule one for soldering, don't solder while wearing shorts. Rule 2, thoroughly understand which end of the soldering iron to hold before starting. ;D

Lefty

Osgeld

least you didn't use a blowtorch
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

Divyanshu

kg4wsv

The three most dangerous things in the computing world:

1 - a hardware guy with a compiler
2 - a software guy with a soldering iron
3 - a user with an idea

:)

-j

retrolefty

And any of them with a credit card.

Lefty

keeper63

Then just stick to being a programmer.   Rule one for soldering, don't solder while wearing shorts. Rule 2, thoroughly understand which end of the soldering iron to hold before starting.

I would think to flip those around; a drop of solder hitting your leg or foot is nothing, really - you can get used to it. Now, welding, on the other hand - yeah, no shorts there unless you like it that way!

;D

I would also recommend a pair of safety goggles or glasses; its very easy to be soldering, and have the flux boil off just wrong and eject a small drop of hot solder right at your face and eyes - you DON'T want that!

;)  <- /heh, maybe he shoulda worn some goggles, hmm?

The three most dangerous things in the computing world:

1 - a hardware guy with a compiler
2 - a software guy with a soldering iron
3 - a user with an idea

I guess you're hosed if you're into robotics, eh? ;D

And any of them with a credit card.

Oh-so-much THIS.  8-)
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

biocow

+1 on goggles.

I never did at first, then once I had a really tight solder spot so I used my helping hands with a magnifying glass. Got in really close, did the needful and then noticed little specks on the glass. Wasn't sure what it was at first but then a little later I saw the flux core jumping and splatting all over. I checked my glasses and I had little specks all over them. I'm lucky none made it around and in my eye. Now I wear goggles all the time. (Well, OK... only if I'm getting in really close.)

Valalvax

I used my phone for the pic, which, even though it's probably one of the best in-phone cameras in the world, isn't that great

And yes, I'm using one of those beasts, big, bulky, hard to properly aim, and extremely hot

As for the damaged area, it's a very small area, and very minor damage, I don't think that portion of the board is utilized anyway

Go Up