Go Down

Topic: Anyone Seen The Maple? (Read 39188 times) previous topic - next topic

poslathian

Oh boy. Did I really just make an account just to participate in this thread? ... maybe....

Ala reddit: IAMA LeafLabs Employee, ask me anything

p.s. (windoze fixes coming in 0.1.0, linux works (has always worked) smooth as silk. Now begins the fun journey of building lots of projects and fleshing out the libraries. Most of what you guys have talked about here is pretty accurate.)

ArduinoAndy

Jun 29, 2010, 12:23 pm Last Edit: Jun 29, 2010, 12:26 pm by ArduinoAndy Reason: 1
Wow! Are you kidding?" "Yeah, but you started it."
When will ALL the Arduino libraries be ported to the Maple? ::) ::) ::)
"Never trust an Internet bully who insults and makes fun of your level of intelligence."

sasaa

Jun 29, 2010, 01:17 pm Last Edit: Jun 29, 2010, 01:19 pm by sasaa Reason: 1
[offtopic]
(I'm fairly sure it was about an acer netbook, but I could be confused with another netbook)

btw i think you mean the Asus Eee.
as far as i know they where the first!

I know because I own a Eee 900 (added touchscreen)
I use it for al my projects.[/offtopic]

Whats the main gain from the maple being able to procces larger things like video output, streaming video, picture manipulation?
and offcourse being able to do it fast...
Just wondering... it sounds cool tho :P :P

ArduinoAndy

Here goes ... poslathian Maple leaf blower.

So what if the Maple has a Lithium battery charger and can run from it.

So what if the Maple has 39 Dig I/O, 16 12 Bit analog pins, 100K flash, 17K ram, and runs at 72 MHZ.
Note: 128K flash/20K Ram with no overhead.

So what if the Maple has 3 serial hardware ports.

So what if the Maple can run the same syntax/commands as the Arduino.

Quote: "Currently in the works are things like:
ethernet lib port (arduino ethernet shield)
sdfatlib port (arduino sd card shield)
VGA video demo (this is coming along very nicely, thanks bryan!)
stable i2c/spi API (nearly there)
timers API (nearly there)"

What unique "pie in the sky" applications could/does the Maple provide that the Arduino doesn't already have?

Be careful with your answer because there are  lots of unique applications that has been already created on the Arduino.

8-) 8-) 8-)
"Never trust an Internet bully who insults and makes fun of your level of intelligence."

poslathian

The number one thing I am excited about for Maple and Maple Native is audio applications. At 16MHz you can make some simple synths, and im sure with lots of really low level hacking you could do some decent audiowork. at 44KHz you get roughly 360 instructions to play with. On maple you get 1600. Programmable guitar pedals, and fft's are definitely in.

At the end of the day, I wouldnt argue that I could hack all weekend on some awesome maple project, and some AVR guru couldnt reproduce it on a simpler board. The only difference is, that I can do it in C, not worry about inlining assembly, and my code could be decidedly imperfect and still work. To get VGA going at 16MHz is a lot of very clever work. We got VGA going on maple using the library only, no assembly, and very little cleverness.

So what, abstractly, can be done with a 72MHz arm that couldnt be done with a 16MHz AVR? I think that question is besides the point. The real question is how much effort would it take to get X-high-performance-app running on ARM versus AVR. And the answer is, if youre given a thin library and a working toolchain, everything gets A LOT easier when you get 5 times as many instructions. Easy enough, we hope, that no one has to really get dirty writing assembly or other low level hacks.

Im sure better hackers than us will come and blow our minds with some great work. I look forward to it. For now, we just working to turn the setup time of working with ARM chips from a very long weekend and a decent level of expertise, to an afternoon and a beginners knowledge. Perhaps were there already, perhaps not. But were making improvements as fast as we can.

For those interested, our #1 time killer is:
   making shit run on windows. We've been (joking?) about releasing future software for future boards (like oak) as VM images....what do you think. How many of you think the windows build is essential? Obviously we thought it was worth it.

jabber

I have used 99.9% Linux for 12 years but, if you don't do the Windows bit you will lose 99% of your potential customers.

poslathian

ArduinoAndy

edpell@optonline.n

The Blackfin development board for $99 looks interesting. 32MB of DRAM, two 120 pin connectors with all the GPIO and communications options you could want and 600MHz(?).

jabber

Blackfin?. Any links that aren't  ++$1000

ArduinoAndy

Jun 30, 2010, 02:21 pm Last Edit: Jun 30, 2010, 02:31 pm by ArduinoAndy Reason: 1
Code: [Select]
The Blackfin development board for $99 looks interesting
Is it an ARM board that runs Arduino syntax? $99 is 2x more expensive on this board.
8-) 8-) 8-)

ArduinoAndy

Jun 30, 2010, 02:26 pm Last Edit: Jul 01, 2010, 01:32 am by ArduinoAndy Reason: 1
Maple Quote:
For those interested, our #1 time killer is: making nuts run on windows.
 ::)

If it doesn't have Lego or Linux then the MIT Maple leaf blowers are totally confused. Simple stuff for those who have highly intelligent minds.  :o

Check this link out on why the leaf blowers are having so much problems with windows.
Link: http://leaflabs.com/docs/maple-bootloader/  :'(

Humor note:
We joke about the Leaflabs Maple tree leaf blowers ...
For those foreign souls across the pond...

The Maple ARM board was named after a tree.
This tree is notorious for dropping huge
amounts of colorful leaves in the fall. If
you don't rake them or blow them they become
a nuisance, in fact, if they are wet and
you drive on them, it is worst than ice. Tour
buses go back east (Northeastern USA) and
people pay to see the colorful leaves. I, myself, would
rather take a chain saw and cut the #$#%@ Maple
trees down than to rake the leaves!
;D ;D ;D

pracas

making nuts run on windows

true. I'm converting to linux and now use 80% linux and 20% windows. but then there are batmanish windows lovers all over the place so you might not want to loose them ;)

ArduinoAndy

Jun 30, 2010, 02:43 pm Last Edit: Jun 30, 2010, 04:31 pm by ArduinoAndy Reason: 1
pracas ... when you get your Maple and the included items ... the green tea and candy smarties do not
consume them with curry  ;D ;D ;D will rot out your only tooth.

pracas

cosume them with curry  Grin Grin Grin will rot out your only tooth.
lol... hope i get them ;)

Go Up