PWM for up to 8 Meanwell LDD-700/1000HW drivers

Here's the spec sheet for the driver http://www.meanwell.com/search/LDD-H/LDD-H-spec.pdf

I found some set ups, but most have features I don't need and I feel that it may cut down on the amount of drivers they can dim due to it.

If possible I'd like to achieve this with a single unit.

Basic needed features - ability to set start time for each driver, then over a period of time slowly increase brightness to a desired level, at the end of the day slowly decrease and off. This can be all done in code with no way to change, as long as I can set clock at least to proper values, not sure how that is done on Arduino and if possible through just usb connection.

From there ability to adjust these setting through some sort of interface on the unit itself not just rigid code. Maybe some sort of intermittent dimming throughout the day at random intervals (that could simulate clouds passing etc [although this is more for human benefit than corals heh] - this is for a reef tank btw). Possibly temp probe and adjusting 12v fan speed (120mm case fan etc) based on it. Next step would be some sort of wifi interaction - ability to see status and adjust settings through wifi.

Some of the possible parts for it, from another build, not sure if it all really needed, but seems reasonable:
Arduino MEGA (ATMega 1280-16AU)
ITDB02 Arduino MEGA Shield v1.1 KIT
ITDB02-3.2S module is 3.2" TFT LCD
Electronic Brick - DS18B20 1 - Wire Digital Thermometer Module
US 9V 2A AC/DC Power Adapter with Cable (I do have computer power supply that I will be using to run fans, it has 12v rails if that can be used to power the module would be better).

Thank you for your advice.

I suspect that this is the wrong chip for the job. It seems to rely on an analog input voltage on the negative power pin to set the brightness. Not something that the Arduino will be good at (not delivering power).

My reading of the datasheet is that it has a PWM dimming input which accepts voltage levels and frequencies that are just fine for an Arduino PWM output. The Mega has enough PWM output pins (15 vs. the 8 dimmers you want to control).

Ok that's great.

And I know they do work with them in general, not sure what the deal with with analog negative input.

Only thing related to that is that ground source for the Arduino and the power supply to the meanwell supposed to be the same, so will have to figure that out. Arduino will be powered with that round plug, but I guess I could maybe run the ground pin from Arduino to the power supply or something?

To sum it up, meanwell has two inputs and two outputs. + and - in come from a separate power supply, + and - out go to the LEDs. Then there is a single cord left that takes in PWM signal, I believe 5v, as I understand that will be just plugged into one of the PWM connections on Arduino. But if Arduino is powered by some separate power source (my case) grounds need to be linked, otherwise there will be no dimming going on.

I'm sure you can tell I'm super versed in electrical work lol.

So I guess the first question would be, do I just connect ground pin on Arduino to the ground on the LED power source? or that pin is for the ground of the Arduino's power source and will not do anything o.O

Thanks

raidendex:
So I guess the first question would be, do I just connect ground pin on Arduino to the ground on the LED power source? or that pin is for the ground of the Arduino's power source and will not do anything o.O

Yes, you need to join those grounds.

Was looking at Arduino picture, there seem to be two ground pins, one by the power pin and the other next to PWM pins. Which ground pin should I connect to ground on power supply of the drivers?

Other question - would Arduino work fine from 12v supplied by PC powersupply, it has two 12v rails both at 22A.
I will be using it to run some cooling fans, but would be nice to throw Arduino on it as well.
As far as I can tell 12v should be fine, although manual says above 12v may be bad, so can it be potentially bad to run it so close to red zone so to speak?

Thanks again.

raidendex:
Was looking at Arduino picture, there seem to be two ground pins, one by the power pin and the other next to PWM pins. Which ground pin should I connect to ground on power supply of the drivers?

Use either. if you are using any sensors connected to the analog inputs, then it is better to use on of the ground pins for the ground side of those sensors, and the other ground pin for the ground sides of output devices (and the ground side of the power supply, if you are supplying power through the Vin pin).

raidendex:
Other question - would Arduino work fine from 12v supplied by PC powersupply, it has two 12v rails both at 22A.
I will be using it to run some cooling fans, but would be nice to throw Arduino on it as well.
As far as I can tell 12v should be fine, although manual says above 12v may be bad, so can it be potentially bad to run it so close to red zone so to speak?

The caveat about using more than 12V to power the Arduino is that the power dissipation in the voltage regulator increases with input voltage. This is not a problem unless you are drawing a significant amount of current from the +5V pin and/or the output pins.

I know this is a few months old but I wanted to toss out a word of caution to anyone considering controlling the Mean Well LDD series drivers with an Arduino for use over a saltwater reef aquarium.

If you lose connectivity between the drivers and the Arduino, your LEDs will run at full blast, which could potentially fry your corals. To resolve this, you can put a 10k pull-down resistor between the CTRL/PWM pin of the driver and ground, which would effectively turn the LEDs off.

More information can be found here: