Go Down

Topic: Arduino Uno controlling an IN-13 nixie (Read 6157 times) previous topic - next topic

Blind-Summit

I have been trying to research how to control an IN-13 nixie (datasheet: http://tubehobby.com/datasheets/in13.pdf) using my Arduino Uno. I have bought the HV driver board from eBay and have hooked up the anode to +140V and each cathode to ground. I can see the tube light up at the bottom, but was hoping to test it and see the full display.

Because I am nervous of connecting 140V by accident to my Arduino (or across the USB somehow and breaking my iMac) I'd like to ask for a little advice on a simple test circuit to show the bar fully lit, and also another to allow me to control the "bar" on the IN-13 using my Uno.

I have looked for other existing projects and have found this Netduino version: http://nerduino.wordpress.com/2012/01/21/netduino-pwm-driving-in-13-nixie-bargraph

I don't know what transistor it being used (or if this is a safe circuit) and there's no Arduino code.

Perhaps someone could kindly help me get started?

Many thanks

Blind-Summit

Thank you for those links. As the IN-13 only has 2 cathodes (indicating / axillary) it seems a little overkill unless I have several tubes being controlled by the Arduino. I'd like to make a VU meter eventually, so would be ideal in this case.

Is there a way I can test the IN-13 without using anything apart from the 140V PSU and some resistors?

runaway_pancake

Alex,

Here's how to bias the tube:

This is an adjustable current regulator.
V_c (V_control) is the input voltage.
The MPSA44 is a high voltage transistor.

Note that a straight "analogWrite"/PWM will not suffice.  The PWM must be filtered (smoothed) first.

"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"
When all else fails, check your wiring!

Blind-Summit

Telecommando, Runaway Pancake - thanks for helping me out - I've managed to test the tube with the appropriate resistors and I can get it to light properly (they survived delivery from the Ukraine!)

Pancake - thank you for those diagrams. I'll have to try and source one of those transistors. I had a rummage and noticed that I do have a K155NA1 8910 chip that I think is an equivalent to the SN74141:

Is this of any use, or will I still need the transistor?

Thanks again to you both for the assistance - most appreciated.

runaway_pancake

I had a rummage and noticed that I do have a K155NA1 8910 chip that I think is an equivalent to the SN74141.
Is this of any use, or will I still need the transistor?

That IC is for turning on/off segments of Nixie tubes or VFDs.
Running the beam in the indicator tube is a different matter.
The transistor is required.

"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"
When all else fails, check your wiring!

Blind-Summit

Just a follow up to say thanks to you both. I got the transistors, built the circuit and my tubes light up perfectly.

Thanks again for the schematics - much appreciated.

Go Up