Go Down

Topic: ROM-Reader for Super Nintendo / Super Famicom Game Cartridges (Read 394826 times) previous topic - next topic

skaman

sanni

I am extremely grateful for all of everyone's hard work and hope to contribute to the project soon.

Thanks for the kind words. Your Cart Reader looks amazing, I really like the color scheme, subtle but mysterious.  8)

Newbie2

Just to flag (but can't verify it works since my cart reader doesn't have a genesis slot) but you can still buy the retrode sms plugin, which has holes you can solder the gamegear pins to (which I did to use with the retrode and works well): https://www.dragonbox.de/en/accessories/cartridge-dumper/retrode2-sms-plugin

I don't own any GG carts so I can't test for sure but this should be the correct pinout since the Cart Reader code is supposed to follow the Retrode adapters wiring: https://consolingmyself.co.uk/post/18692678762/retrode-sms-gg-plug-in-adapter-pin-out

There have been several reports of non-working OLEDs recently, I'm not sure why though, maybe they changed something or maybe it's just a bad batch of OLEDs.

I don't think anyone added support for the ToToTek cart yet. It's certainly possible to write a function for it but I don't think it would be worth the trouble when you can just buy the original flasher.

NP = Nintendo Power: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Power_(cartridge)

dustytrash

Would I be able to put code onto the Arduino after this is built without re-soldering the 5V regulator and transistor?

I want to try adding functionality for my TotoTek cartridge. The source is available from another project, so it's hopefully a matter of adding it from there to this project in my own branch.

crudeli

Hello,
I need to program an 29f800 but I don't know how to connect the control signals...
 I've checked the schematic for the flash adapters but can't understand how the sockets are wired,  and my device is soldered to a PCB.
So please excuse the noobness, but could someone tell me to which SNES pins # should I connect the flash's !OE & !CE? Do I also need to connect !RESET?
TIA.

Newbie2

I'll let someone more authoritative answer, but the one that I got (that sanni had built for testing purposes) allows new versions to be uploaded to the arduino without re-soldering

Would I be able to put code onto the Arduino after this is built without re-soldering the 5V regulator and transistor?

I want to try adding functionality for my TotoTek cartridge. The source is available from another project, so it's hopefully a matter of adding it from there to this project in my own branch.

sanni

Yes you can reflash the Cart Reader as many times as you wish without soldering anything. You only need to switch it to ON and 5V before flashing, the other switches don't matter.

my device is soldered to a PCB
If by "PCB" you mean a SNES game PCB then you only have to disconnect the flash's Write Enable pin from VCC and instead connect it to the Write pin of the SNES PCB. The other pins should already be connected the right way.

Flash   -> SNES
OE   -> CS (cart)
WE   -> WR (write)
CE   -> RD (read)
Reset -> Reset (or VCC)

Full pinout can be found in pinout.xls (column "16bit Flash in 8bit Mode" and "SNES")
https://github.com/sanni/cartreader/blob/master/pinout.xls

crudeli

Maybe I need to explain a bit what I'm trying to do:

I have been trying to build a few PCE flashcard based on the gamingenterprisesinc Flash Hucard (Schematic: http://www.gamingenterprisesinc.com/Flash_HuCard/Schematic_V20_Sheet1.pdf).

So far I've built *1* working card and I have been unable to build another successfully... I don't know what's the problem.
Upon reading @jiyunomegami recent post, I've assembled a retrode PCE adapter and I've been able to read from the lone working card.
However I'd like to write directly to the flash (29f800) with the cartreader to check the non working Hucards, but unlike jiyunomegami, I've been unable to do so.
Full pinout can be found in pinout.xls (column "16bit Flash in 8bit Mode" and "SNES")
https://github.com/sanni/cartreader/blob/master/pinout.xls
Thanks but that made me more confused, do I have to use the "16 bit flash in 8 bit mode"?

There are multiple OE (OE SNES REPRO/OE Flash Adapter) and WE (WE Flash Adapter/WE SNES Repro)?

sanni

You can ignore my answer it was tailored to a SNES cart with a flashrom since you only mentioned SNES in your previous post.

arquinoramalho

Hi Sanni,
I set up my pocket version of your cartReader. I thought of doing something that was as simple and cheap as possible to assemble and solder. So I didn't use smd components and kept the entire SdCard module.
thx  :)

I built this pocket version of Niltonn but when flash the arduino, the text on the screen has an error. I believe I need to make some correction to the code, but I'm noob and I don't know where I can fix it. Could someone help?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dcW71xrpy-USi8J2BWhPcOKkFb0gXPLh/view

mm400

First I  wanted to say Thank You Sanni and Everyone else who has made this project possible.
I just completed my programmer, minus the 3d printed case, N64 and GB connector.
Everything worked first try, so I am pretty happy. :) :)

I do have a question though
I built this for reprogramming the SF Memory Cartridge. I have had this cartridge for about 10 years wondering if someone would ever figure out how to re-program it. I was pretty happy to find it was possible with this cart reader.

Now I have dumped the cartridge but am wondering if the flash dump is good or not. Any ideas how to check? Or anyone want to test out  my dump for me?

TIA

mm400

Hi arquinoramalho

Looks like a hardware issue to me rather than a software issue.
Does the unit respond when pushing buttons? If so, it would make me think even more so hardware issues.

Looking at your picture, I think you need to try re-doing your LCD wiring. Looks like you could have a short or a poor connection.  The wires themselves could also be picking up and or causing interference with each-other. I would use shorter, and possibly smaller gauge wire with less insulation stripped off the ends to make everything neater and less likely to short out.

If all else fails, try getting the correct 4 wire LCD and try that. Should be much easier to hook up and won't need all those bodge wires to make it work.

Good Luck!

I built this pocket version of Niltonn but when flash the arduino, 
the text on the screen has an error. I believe I need to make some correction to the code,
but I'm noob and I don't know where I can fix it. Could someone help?

sanni

Any ideas how to check?
You should have two files a 512 Byte *.map file and a 4 MByte *.bin file.

If you open the *.map file with an hex editor it should look somewhat like these examples:

The 4MB file you can split into the menu and the games with this little program, however it does not always work since I stopped working on it years ago. You can either use the compiled npsplit.exe or the npsplit.pde source code together with the Processing IDE.

Once you got the file split you can test each of the games in Snes9x.

Under File->ROM Information SNES9x should give you the CRC32 checksum of the game that you can google to see if it is a known dump. If you can't find the checksum in google you might want to check with no-intro if you got a previously undumped version of a game.

You can also see if the menu boots up but it will have a corrupted checksum and the crc32 will be unique.

mm400

Thanks Sanni for your detailed response.  :)

After disassembling the SF Memory Cartridge, I noticed an empty set of pads for another flash / EEPROM  inside it.  Do you know if anyone has tried upgrading it with another chip? More out of curiosity than anything. Not sure I would do it even if I knew it would work since I only have one SF Memory Cart and don't really want to destroy it.

skaman

I about destroyed one SF Memory cart trying to get the third flash chip working.  You can't simply solder the third chip in and have it work.  There are different jumpers on the sides of the MegaChips chip that might control the mapping.  I tested various combinations but I didn't have success.

I have more blank carts and a couple spare MX Flash chips so maybe I'll revisit it later.

Go Up