Go Down

Topic: ROM-Reader for Super Nintendo / Super Famicom Game Cartridges (Read 400357 times) previous topic - next topic

sanni

Pure speculation but my guess would be that Nintendo did not implement an 6MB ExHirom mode since there are not enough games to warrant the extra work. So most likely there is a command that just switches between the 2nd and the 3rd flash chip. However since the current menu probably does not support more than 4MB even if we figured out how to externally access the 3rd flash chip we would not be able to use it with the menu.

I don't think anyone fully disassembled the menu code yet, that would be the next logical step to take to see if there is anything hidden in there.

nocash wrote the following about the menu's structure:
Nintendo Power Menu Content

ROM Offset  SNES Address Size   Content
  000000h     808000h      4xxxh  Menu Code (around 16K, depending on version)
  004xxxh     80xxxxh      3xxxh  Unused (FFh-filled)
  007FB0h     80FFB0h      50h    Cartridge Header
  008000h     818000h      40000h Unused (FFh-filled)
  048000h     898000h      372Bh  Something (APU code/data or so)
  04B72Bh     8xxxxxh      47D5h  Unused (FFh-filled)
  050000h     8A8000h      8665h  Something (VRAM data or so)
  058665h     8Bxxxxh      798Bh  Unused (FFh-filled)
  060000h     8C8000h      10000h Directory (File 0..7) (2000h bytes/entry)
  070000h     8E8000h      10000h Unused (FFh-filled)
Source: https://problemkaputt.de/fullsnes.htm#snescartnintendopowerflashcard

I did recreate the NP cart in Eagle PCB to make studying it easier, as skaman already mentioned there are two pins on the NP chip that seem to be used to configure the chip:

Also there are at least two different variants of the SF Memory PCB.

moorechip1234

嗨,桑妮,我非常喜欢您的购物车阅读器,如何购买您的产品,谢谢!

moorechip1234

Hi, sanni, I like your Cart Reader very much, how can I buy your product, thank you!

moorechip1234

Okay thank you! This DIY design made me very excited, I immediately went to buy and experiment.

mm400

Hmm interesting about the 6mb HIROM theory. I wish my skills were up to the task of code disassembly, I would take a look if I understood enough. Unfortunately a complete novice when it comes to programming.

On similar note, (of being a novice) I have been playing around with uploading 4mb Super Mario World Hacks to the SF Memory without much luck.  The games use the full 4mb so they are HIROM correct?  Haven't had luck using the default HIROM .map file or using the "SF Memory Binary Maker" created .map files for standalone ROMs.

The data becomes corrupt when uploaded to the cartridge. Uploaded rom file then downloaded again from the cart doesn't match the original file and won't play in an emulator.   

mm400

Okay thank you! This DIY design made me very excited, I immediately went to buy and experiment.
Me too!  I think this is a great project. It involves two of my favorite things. Super Nintendo Games and Soldering.

jiyunomegami

I made a Mark III (Japanese Sega Master System) retrode plugin adapter, and found that the data lines are separate from the game gear data lines. Maybe the retrode can read SMS carts and GG carts at the same time?
If you haven't seen it before you can check the pin mapping here: https://consolingmyself.co.uk/post/18692678762/retrode-sms-gg-plug-in-adapter-pin-out

So, another pull request to you, sanni.
Now you can switch between Normal/Retrode GG/Retrode SMS modes.
Also I added cart size (ROM size) detection, since the ROM size in the header is often lower than the actual size.

mm400

As a follow-up to my own post in case anyone else has the same problem.  I had an ID-10T error.  I thought the map file for the rom was automatically selected if it were the same name as the rom.

I just noticed there is  a separate place on the flash menu to upload a map file.   

Uploaded the default LO-ROM flash file from the root of the sd card to the NPower / SF Memory Cart and all works great!

darleiv

Hello everyone . I made a customization for personal use. what did you find? button on off 8x8mm large swith, removal of other consoles keeping only snes, led power on off. and finally terminal coupling capacitors.

jorge55

Hello,

I'm trying to reflash some SNES repros but sanni always display the same error:

UNKNOWN FLASHROM
ID TYPE 1: 9C0C
ID TYPE 2: 9C0C

https://imgur.com/a/5MWpKQ0

Is a MX29LV320. The sanni is update with the lasted version. Anyone try to flash sucesfull this snes repro motherboards?

thanks

sanni

Use a multimeter to check if the WE pin of the flashrom is connected to the cart edge. Might be that they changed the board layout and adding the wire doesn't work anymore.

jorge55

Hello, yes, i just check and there is continuity between them. Any other ideas to try?
thanks.

Go Up