Go Down

Topic: ROM-Reader for Super Nintendo / Super Famicom Game Cartridges (Read 271855 times) previous topic - next topic

Pickle136

anyone have a spare 62 pin snes cart connector? PM if you do.

I found something that should work.

erendorn

Hello
I'd like to try to build a rom reader to backup my n64 saves. From what I've read in this thread, it seems doable to extract these saves. Are there some instructions available for the build?

sanni

Yes extracting N64 saves works perfectly.

You can either:
- wait a month until I build new cart readers and buy one from me
- have the pcb fabricated yourself using the gerber files from here: https://github.com/sanni/cartreader/tree/master/pcb
- manually wire everything using this pinout: https://github.com/sanni/cartreader/blob/master/pinout.xls

erendorn

Yes extracting N64 saves works perfectly.

You can either:
- wait a month until I build new cart readers and buy one from me
- have the pcb fabricated yourself using the gerber files from here: https://github.com/sanni/cartreader/tree/master/pcb
- manually wire everything using this pinout: https://github.com/sanni/cartreader/blob/master/pinout.xls
Thanks! I'm quite tempted by buying you one. (I can wait, as I suppose my carts aren't going anywhere)

sanni

I did a small hardware revision too, really just rearranged how everything plugs together, but it looks quite nice.
Hopefully I didn't do anything wrong and all will work, so now I have to wait until it arrives from China.

SputnikBR

Hello. first thank you all for sharing this information!
Anyone know if there is a tutorial for beginners "newbies". because until then I think not being able to reproduce this content ...
I would make one that works only for SNES save sram cartridges.

sanni

SputnikBR

Your content is professional level  :o
I want to make something simpler, like the version of MichlK or your own first version of MichlK with shield.

Sanni its first version made in the shield, does not use the 74HC595?

sanni

You can buy an Arduino Mega 2560 and this Arduino Mega Prototype Shield and take a Snes Cartridge Slot from an Action Replay cheat cartridge and just wire it accordingly to the pinout.xls.
Just connect the pins in the column named Arduino with the pins in the column named SNES.

Example:
Connect Arduino Pin A0 to SNES cartridge slot pin A0

Or another example:
Connect Arduino D30 to SNES cartridge slot pin D7

So just like the excel sheet tells you. Just ignore every other column except Arduino and SNES.
Also you don't have to wire SNES cart slot pins 1,2,3,4,32,33,34,35,28,29,30,31,59,60,61,62,24,25,55,56.

Snes Cartridge Slot pinout:
Code: [Select]

+--------+
     21.477MHz Clock |  1  32 | /WRAM
              EXPAND |  2  33 | REFRESH
                 PA6 |  3  34 | PA7
               /PARD |  4  35 | /PAWR
                     |--------|
                 GND |  5  36 | GND
F                A11 |  6  37 | A12
r                A10 |  7  38 | A13
o                 A9 |  8  39 | A14
n                 A8 |  9  40 | A15
t                 A7 | 10  41 | A16
                  A6 | 11  42 | A17
o                 A5 | 12  43 | A18
f                 A4 | 13  44 | A19
                  A3 | 14  45 | A20
c                 A2 | 15  46 | A21
a                 A1 | 16  47 | A22
r                 A0 | 17  48 | A23
t               /IRQ | 18  49 | /CART
                  D0 | 19  50 | D4
                  D1 | 20  51 | D5
                  D2 | 21  52 | D6
                  D3 | 22  53 | D7
                 /RD | 23  54 | /WR
   CIC out data (p1) | 24  55 | CIC out data (p2)
    CIC in data (p7) | 25  56 | CIC in clock (p6)
              /RESET | 26  57 | CPU_CLOCK
                 Vcc | 27  58 | Vcc
                     |--------|
                 PA0 | 28  59 | PA1
                 PA2 | 29  60 | PA3
                 PA4 | 30  61 | PA5
    Left Audio Input | 31  62 | Right Audio Input
                     +--------+

Then use this code made by Tamanegi_taro on your Arduino. That way you don't need an SD card.

But it's a lot easier to solder on a printed circuit board compared to wiring everything by hand.
None of my versions use the 74HC595 because the Arduino Mega has enough pins.

SputnikBR

Thank you very much!
I believe I am now able to do it. I'll buy the card connector snes and once you get will begin!
a question:
I have a ATmega1280 arduino think I can have compatibility problems?

sanni

The code should also work with an Atmega1280 but I never tested it. :)

In other news:
I've been playing around with a new pcb design that integrates the N64 adapter into the main pcb.

Makes everything look a little bit nicer. Featurewise it's the same as before and also uses the same parts.

It does need a bottom plate though since the N64 part of the pcb overhangs the Arduino quite a bit.

Pickle136

I have 9 extra pcb boards for the original layout. If anyone needs one I am selling them for $2 + shipping apiece.

SputnikBR

Sanni,

it is necessary resistor 470 ohm to connect arduino pinout directly on Snes Cartridge Slot pinout?

sanni

The 470 Ohm resistors are for safety in case you solder something wrong.

So if you use a PCB, you don't need it.
If you solder many wires instead and you are sure that you won't connect them wrong then you also don't need it. But if you connect them wrong e.g. short two address pins together because a little strand from one wire touches the other wire then the Arduino can take damage.

So if you have the resistors then I would install them. But if you don't have that many resistors then just check everything again before you turn it on so you can be sure there are no short circuits.

My tip: Buy one of the spare PCB's in the post above yours, it makes everything so much easier.

SputnikBR

I will do this test, if it works I will buy the pcb.
thanks again!

Go Up