Go Down

Topic: ROM-Reader for Super Nintendo / Super Famicom Game Cartridges (Read 202281 times) previous topic - next topic

moldov

Hey, I'm surprised you didn't wait for others to respond to your post...anyway, I'd like to ask you another question please (I have a couple of others I want to ask, though I'd like more information on this one first before I get to any other question I may have).

What is the N64 cable for?  Would it be needed for dumping cartridges and/or the backing up or restoring of save data on those cartridges?  I might not need it in the end.
You are the first one who requested the cartreader, since I offered it here. So I don't know for how long we can wait another guys:) Let's wait.

N64 cable allows You to read and write N64 controller paks and also can test a N64 controller's buttons and thumbstick. (As per sanni description, so it wouldn't affect cartridges reading/writing)

6 feet N64 cable is about 2$ on Ali or ebay. It's very cheap. I ordered one but it seems to be lost on the way. So I need to order one more.

Regards

KnightofTime

Sorry to hear about the misfortune you had with ordering the first N64 cable moldov; I had a similar experience one time when I ordered an external hard drive from Amazon (the Canadian version), for some reason I will probably never know, the parcel somehow failed to arrive, and even though I got a refund, I had to order one on eBay instead at the time.

At the rate I'm going, it could take a few months before I can purchase one of the cart readers, though if I could purchase one earlier (with the N64 cable included in addition to the other specifications I told you about), it might be a bit of a double-edged sword for me, hence why I asked if one cart reader could be reserved for me.

moldov

Small parts ordering from China is kind of fortune:) Among of 10-20 parcels per 2 month I usually has one lost. But sellers usually proceed with refund, so no issues here. Just waiting time.

No worries, 1st assembled cartreader will be reserved for You.

I 've been waiting for another guys to be able to order the parts with less cost as wholesale. So we can wait more, no worries here. Usually people kind of unpatient and want faster.

Regards, Igor.

DieKatzchen

Sorry, Moldov, been busy with other things for a while. I might still be interested in the board, what color is it?

moldov

Sorry, Moldov, been busy with other things for a while. I might still be interested in the board, what color is it?
I've chosen green as chipest one.

KnightofTime

No worries, 1st assembled cartreader will be reserved for You.
I appreciate that, thanks.

While I'm thinking of it, can you upload a picture of what the cart reader will look like, please?

Thanks again (I'll eventually send you a PM when I'm ready to purchase it).

moldov

moldov

Colleagues,

where can I read about map file format. For example GB and SF NP carts. I understand it's special file which says to cartreader how to reserve rom and ram but how can I edit it manually?

sanni

I collected some info here: https://github.com/sanni/cartreader/tree/master/sd
For GB Memory a program exists that does all the work for you: https://github.com/Infinest/GB-Memory-Binary-Maker
For SF Memory someone still needs to write such a program. 

moldov

Thanks sanni. I didn't know that I need to put some files on SD card.

EmkeyN

Ho sanni,
I found some schematics to build a sega master system to sega mega drive adapter.
Could it be used with your cart reader to dump sms cartridge?
Thank in advance

williammuller

I have received the PCB yesterday and as soon as I tested and wrote some documentation for it I'll upload the gerbers.

tested 100%??

sanni

Yes but I made a few errors and need to redesign the pcb.

Ho sanni,
I found some schematics to build a sega master system to sega mega drive adapter.
Could it be used with your cart reader to dump sms cartridge?
Thank in advance
The Sega Master System has an 8bit wide data bus while the Mega Drive has 16bit. So you will have to write some extra code for the Master System. It will not just work by plugging in an adapter.

moldov

Colleagues, thanks to Infinest, I forked his GB Memory solution and adopted it for SF Memory.
So now You can easily create ROM and map file for Your SF Memory cart.

Obviously the code is a bit messy, so I will clean it up ASAP. Also bugs are expected, so I will try to fix them also.

https://github.com/moldov/SF-Memory-Binary-Maker/ if You need binary it's on "Release" tab.

Don't forget to put "Menu.sfc" 512Kb Menu file from NP cart in the same directory with program.

Thanks to:

sanni - for his masterpiece which gathered all the community solutions for scattered ROMS and platforms

skaman - SNES rom and mapping details

infinest - help with GB Memory Binary Maker source code which I forked and manage to adopt for SNES platform

alex_n00b - bitmap letters for Menu

and all community's creative work which allows to find those hidden gems and undocumented abilities in retro platforms

sanni

Go Up