Go Down

Topic: ROM-Reader for Super Nintendo / Super Famicom Game Cartridges (Read 241079 times) previous topic - next topic

skaman

Yes, as I mentioned above, I checked the known Pitfall (U) ROM and it doesn't contain the 2000 VERSION text in it.  The Version note was in an entry in the No-Intro DAT-o-MATIC.  I don't know where that info came from.

The start of your dump matches the start of the known ROM.

Confirm the size of your dump.  It should be 2097152 bytes.  If the size matches then it is either a bad dump or a previously unknown version.

On a different note, FC/NES Mapper 82 carts might use some type of register initialization to access the PRG-RAM.  The first cart that I tested did not use the initialization sequence but the test cart that I recently acquired (SD Keiji Blader) uses the initialization sequence.  More testing to do...

lionel_670

The size is 2097152 bytes:
Code: [Select]
ll
total 2048
-rw-r--r-- 1 lionel lionel 2097152 Jan  1  2000 PitfallTheMayan.MD

skaman

Your dump is nearly identical to the known ROM.

There are only two bytes different.  The bytes at 0x269D8 and 0x269DB appear to be swapped.

In the known ROM, 0x269D8 is 0x03 and 0x269DB is 0xED.

In your ROM, 0x269D8 is 0xED and 0x269DB is 0x03.

It is rather odd.  The swapped bytes don't occur at a point where you would suspect an error in the dumping code.  It could be a corrupt ROM chip which is rare but does occur.  Only way to confirm is to use another method to dump the cart.

lionel_670

Thank you Skaman for the analysis and the comparison. So far, I have been able to run the first level without issues.

All my other dumps have the correct checksums (11 Megadrive cartridges and 20 SNES compared with the reference MD5 and SHA1 checksums available in TOSEC) so I still trust this great system designed by Sanni.
Lionel

skaman

Nice work, sanni!

I ordered a set of the FC-SNES and NES-SNES adapters.  Both adapters appear to be working properly on v4.0.  Nice job on the conversion!

I like the improvements to the mapper selection screen.  I'll have to look at converting that code to my FC reader.

sanni

Thanks for testing, it means a lot to me  :D  8)

Also if you're using V4.0_Portable.zip be sure to update the *.ino files inside to the latest version from the Github main branch as I wrongly defined the variable "index" as byte instead of int in this release breaking all mappers above I think 70 or something like that.  :smiley-zipper:

skaman

Yes, I updated the sketchbook files.  The FC adapter was tested using a couple Mapper 82 carts since I had those out to work on the PRG RAM.

BTW, I've got the PRG RAM reads working for Mapper 82 which required pulsing M2 like the MMC5 RAM.  I still need to squash a bug in writing to the PRG RAM - the first byte of every 0x400 bytes is incorrect.  More testing to do...

xybots

Hi All

I was wondering if some one could  point me in the right direction please, I have built a Sanni cart reader and it seems to work, now I want to put the snes cic chip, I have tried to program the pic 12f629 chip with my Pickit3 but when I import the hex file it says error reading hex file, or invalid hex file.

I have tried different Os's different computers both Mac and pc and the same happens.

any help in solving this problem for me would be appreciated

thanks

sanni

Just to make sure it's not a download error, go to https://github.com/mrehkopf/sd2snes and click on the green "Clone or download" button and choose "Download zip". Then extract the zip and then use the snescic-lock-resync.hex inside the cic folder with Pickit3.

Sometimes when directly downloading a single file from github it gets saved in a wrong format. Happend to me before.

xIceMan

Does reflashing SNES repros with 29F033 adapter not work anymore?

I followed all instructions from here: https://github.com/sanni/cartreader/wiki/Reflashing-SNES-Repros

The HiROM board (1J3M) only consist of the Flash ROM now, SRAM and MAD-1 were disabled.

I go to Super Nintendo menu, then HiROM repro menu and it keeps giving me Error.

"Flashrom Writer 8bit

Flash ID: 9C0C
Flashrom Writer 8bit

Flash ID: 9090
Flashrom Writer 8bit

Flash ID: 9090
Flashrom Writer 8bit

ID Type 1:9C0C
ID Type 2:9090

UNKNOWN FLASHROM
Fatal Error, please reset."

WE of 29F033 is connected to cart connector #18, bridge open.
OE of 29F022 is connected to cart connector #57, bridge open.

RST was bridged and open, no difference.

EDIT: The current game on the 29F033 does work and has been tested successfully as well as dumped successfully with your reader. Just to exclude bad soldering/contacts.

sanni

Still works for me. No need to disable the MAD-1 or Sram.

If dumping works then there can only be something wrong with OE or WE. Use a multimeter to check that they are not connected to GND or 5V.
Also make sure the CLK1 switch is set to off(towards front of cart reader)

xIceMan

Will check.

EDIT: Works now. For some reason WE was on VCC. Must have overlooked something.
Thanks!

BASSIX

Hi friends. Did anyone test flash code for 29f800?

xybots

Just to make sure it's not a download error, go to https://github.com/mrehkopf/sd2snes and click on the green "Clone or download" button and choose "Download zip". Then extract the zip and then use the snescic-lock-resync.hex inside the cic folder with Pickit3.

Sometimes when directly downloading a single file from github it gets saved in a wrong format. Happend to me before.
Hi Sanni thanks that worked a treat and I've tested it with SNES carts and it works fine thanks for all your hard work.

sanni

Thanks for the feedback, I updated the wiki accordingly for future users.  :)

Go Up