Go Down

Topic: ROM-Reader for Super Nintendo / Super Famicom Game Cartridges (Read 352272 times) previous topic - next topic

xjunox

Do you know if the sanni cart reader supports n64 retrocircuit repro boards?

dustytrash

My hands are pretty full at the moment but I'll try to look into it further if no one else gets to you first. I ran into a lot of problems to begin with. I know a few other problems off the top of my head were my 3d printer. Even though it is a USB device it is registered as a COM device so it interfered. I had to have it unplugged while using the PicKit. And, of course, things that were plugged into my serial port. I tried different versions of the program at certain points too, that solved it on one PC. Version 3.10 I use on my Windows 7 64-bit and I'm using beta 0.2.0.2 on my Windows 10 64-bit. Maybe juggle a few of those.
Thanks for the help, I followed your steps and got it working.

My issue was I was using a universal adapter and my placement on it was wrong. I misunderstood the white line, I had it plugged in from 29-26 rather than 30-27.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61C5nTtM0sL._AC_SY355_.jpg

dustytrash

Alright, I clicked 'write' a bunch of times, I also cleaned up my soldering a bit. I got 'programmed successful', and 'verification successful'. I restarted the program, read the hex fiel on the board and compared it to the program, it's the same! I'm excited now!

I'm going to go ahead and solder on the chip now, hopefully it all worked.

dustytrash

Anyone know a good place to buy a 62 pin connector aside from ebay & aliexpress? Being in Canada Ebay is minimum $30 shipping and aliexpress takes 2 months+.

I salvaged mine from another project but lost a couple pins on mine, and a few got bent out of shape.

Nextria

Anyone know a good place to buy a 62 pin connector aside from ebay & aliexpress? Being in Canada Ebay is minimum $30 shipping and aliexpress takes 2 months+.

I salvaged mine from another project but lost a couple pins on mine, and a few got bent out of shape.
Hey I can check for you tomorrow, I started last year to making 10 boards but haven't had the time to finish:)

I am from The Netherlands I think shipping will be like 12 euro

sanni

See if you can get a cheap Action Replay with the longer slot, they are awesome SNES slots.

dustytrash

I'm interested, although that's $18 cdn to shipping haha, what do you mean by board?

@sanni I'll look into action replay, looks like its the same thing tho,Ebay and aliexpress

Nextria

I'm interested, although that's $18 cdn to shipping haha, what do you mean by board?

@sanni I'll look into action replay, looks like its the same thing tho,Ebay and aliexpress
Oh sorry I thought the conversion rate was different.

See picture for the boards I went a bit crazy

Nextria

Hey @sanni

Can i also flash 29F800TMC chips (sega saturn) with the flasher,
I see it can do a couple of 29F800 chips, but not the TMC.

If not can this be added :) ?

Regards

nextria

sanni

Assuming that the chip itself flashes the same as the other 29F800 variants then all you have to do is adding its ID to the code in flash.ino.

In line  166 change it like this:
else if ((strcmp(flashid, "0458") == 0) || (strcmp(flashid, "0158") == 0) ||
            (strcmp(flashid, "01AB") == 0) || (strcmp(flashid, "XXXX") == 0))
            writeFlash29F800();
Where XXXX is the flash ID it gives you in the "unknown flash" error message, something like C2D6.

And in line 470 add a MX29F800T entry, assuming your chip is by Macronix:
else if (strcmp(flashid, "XXXX") == 0) {
    println_Msg(F("MX29F800T detected"));
    flashSize = 1048576;
    flashromType = 2;
  }

else if (strcmp(flashid, "0458") == 0) {
    println_Msg(F("MBM29F800BA detected"));
    flashSize = 1048576;
    flashromType = 2;
  }
  else if (strcmp(flashid, "01AB") == 0) {
    println_Msg(F("AM29F400AB detected"));
    flashSize = 131072 * 4;
    flashromType = 2;
  }
  else if (strcmp(flashid, "0158") == 0) {
    println_Msg(F("AM29F800BB detected"));
    flashSize = 1048576;
    flashromType = 2;
  }
If it needs a different flash function, then you have to read the datasheet and add a new flash function for it.

And then you might have to create an adapter that follows the pinout of the 29F800 since the WE pin is not at the same place as with the 29F1610 the current SOP44 adapter is made for. But that seems an easy enough modification.

Nextria

Assuming that the chip itself flashes the same as the other 29F800 variants then all you have to do is adding its ID to the code in flash.ino.

In line  166 change it like this:
Where XXXX is the flash ID it gives you in the "unknown flash" error message, something like C2D6.

If it needs a different flash function, then you have to read the datasheet and add a new flash function for it.

And then you might have to create an adapter that follows the pinout of the 29F800 since the WE pin is not at the same place as with the 29F1610 the current SOP44 adapter is made for. But that seems an easy enough modification.

In line  166 change it like this:

Hello Sanni,

thanks for the replay, i added the code, and it identifies the chip now,
but i cant program it, i looked at the datasheet,  

and i see the addresses are different, but this goes far beyond my understanding.
If you have time can you please help me !

Yippikaye

Hi Sanni,
Is the reader compatible with this cart :
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/videogamedevelopmentdevices/images/4/4e/Xchanger_16m.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/120?cb=20130422151017

https://videogamedevelopmentdevices.fandom.com/wiki/Gameboy_Xchanger

I have one lying in a drawer and since I dont have a PC with a parallel port I can't use it :(

skaman

Famicom Update.

I finally received a Wai Wai World 2 cart for testing.  The original cart that I ordered from Japan at the start of the year is lost somewhere in the mail most likely due to the COVID-19 shutdown.  After ordering and receiving a replacement WWW2 cart, I tested the code and found that the PRG bank at 0x8000 wasn't switching.  

I've modified the code and both Mapper 21 carts are dumping properly.  The two Mapper 21 carts are Wai Wai World 2 (VRC4a) and Ganbare Goemon Gaiden 2 (VRC4c).

I'll send the code changes to sanni.

sanni

Is the reader compatible with this cart :
It looks very similar to the EMS GB Smart 32M flash cart which is supported but I think the flash chip was changed so you probably have to change the current code a bit to make it work.

Power_Broker

Curious, this looks like a really cool project, but what is the point of ROM dumping game carts? Is it simply to back-up games in case they get lost or can you use the data to port the games to other consoles (i.e. PC)?
"The desire that guides me in all I do is the desire to harness the forces of nature to the service of mankind."
   - Nikola Tesla

Go Up