Go Down

Topic: ROM-Reader for Super Nintendo / Super Famicom Game Cartridges (Read 394059 times) previous topic - next topic

dustytrash

I'm confused about how to place a MicroSD card.

What are the 6 pins next to the SD card placement? My microSD has CS, SCK, MOSI, MISO, VCC & GND pins

dustytrash

Is this connected to the adruino right? https://imgur.com/a/28KBcuu

I got everything connected & switched on and am powering using the Arduino but nothing happens. Screen does not go on, no lights nothing.

sanni

Did you already flash the Arduino with the Cart Reader.ino code?

If yes can you post more pictures of the Cart Reader PCB?

And can you measure the resistance between 5V and GND while the Cart Reader is turned off using a multimeter? Just to make sure there is no short circuit.

dustytrash

Did you already flash the Arduino with the Cart Reader.ino code?

If yes can you post more pictures of the Cart Reader PCB?

And can you measure the resistance between 5V and GND while the Cart Reader is turned off using a multimeter? Just to make sure there is no short circuit.
Yes the code has been flashed

Here are some more pics, I haven't added the case yet since I want to get it working first. Also using a breadboard for the capacitor just until I get it working:  https://imgur.com/a/nYqaqIF https://imgur.com/a/KwDU1V0

Just checked now, it's not showing no resistance from 5V to ground

sanni

I would probably get a flux pen and set the temperature of the soldering iron a little higher and work over all the solder joints just to make sure you don't have any cold joints.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guide-excellent-soldering/common-problems

Also put the multimeter to diode test(one step to the right from the setting in the picture) and test that the top left pin of each button is not connected to GND. Which can happen if the solder touches the case of the button.

And just to be sure meassure between a VCC pin and GND using the diode test too.

And check that the legs of the LED are not touching the OLED pins.

You can also try if you can still flash the code now that the Arduino is attached to the Cart Reader shield, voltage switches need to be set to 5V and ON. Then you know that the Arduino is still working.
If this is the case you can change the code to Serial Monitor output and use the Arduino Serial Monitor to see if that works: https://github.com/sanni/cartreader/wiki/Serial-Monitor (the setting can currently be found in either the Cart_Reader.ino or options.h tab depending on the version of the code).

dustytrash

And just to be sure meassure between a VCC pin and GND using the diode test too.
I used the Diode setting and checked GND and 5V, there IS a connection. Is that supposed to happen?

You're right about my solder joints. Towards the end someone pointed it out and I started using a hotter setting, which helped. I'll start fixing my joints

sanni

On a working Cart Reader with the multimeter set to diode mode and the Cart Reader disconnected from USB I have no connection between GND and VCC and it does not beep.
Set to Ohm mode I have ~120 Ohm when the voltage select switch on the Cart Reader is set to 3V and ~300 Ohm when the switch is set to 5V.

Maybe check the snesCIC with a magnifying glass for bridged pins since it's the smallest chip and harder to solder.

dustytrash

I used a magnifying glass and cannot find any bridged pins. I am getting a reading of 312 using the diode test on my multimeter from VCC to ground.

I also re-uploaded the code onto a new arduino and tried that. The arduino lights turned on for a bit, then it turned off and now it won't turn on at all.

I think I may re-purchase the parts and start again

DieKatzchen

@DieKatzchen Please see my PM too

I seemingly haven't been noticed, although I was a bit later than you.  Did you get a response?  Thanks!

Edit: Ah, I checked my forum settings and the defaults don't notify through email, so that probably explains it.
I've replied to you, and also turned on notifications. Sorry for the delay, you're on the list. For anyone else on the list, I will be ordering the last parts (the cart connectors, incidentally) over the next few weeks.

dustytrash

The arduino lights up when plugged in and using 3V, but not when using 5V.

I switched the code to Serial monitor, and am getting an 'SD error'. Maybe because I don't have a SD card plugged in?

I am powering the arduino/cartridge reader using a USB cable from my computer. Is that okay?

```
2019 sanni

SD Error
Fatal Error, please reset
```

sanni

Yes USB cable from PC is ok, SD Error means no SD card plugged in. Try a SD card see if it works then over the Serial Monitor.

If it does work then flash it back to using the OLED by removing the // from the code again, if it still doesn't show anything on the OLED then the OLED screen might be broken.

jaffa225man

I've replied to you, and also turned on notifications. Sorry for the delay, you're on the list. For anyone else on the list, I will be ordering the last parts (the cart connectors, incidentally) over the next few weeks.
It's great to have heard from you, thanks!  :) My experience with aliexpress to the U.S., even in the best of times is to expect orders to arrive in  1-2 months, except for some amazing sellers that have been a welcome surprise of 1-2 weeks.  So, yes, I'll wait as patiently as possible now that I know I've been included.

Thanks again!

Luke

crabycowman123

Could be the SD card. Since the ROM is fine your Cart Reader probably works ok but when reading the ROM back from the SD card it gets read errors. You can test this theory by reducing the sdSpeed in Cart Reader.ino from SPI_FULL_SPEED to SPI_HALF_SPEED and reupload the code afterwards:

Or by trying out another SD card preferably made by Sandisk.
Setting the speed to half did not appear to fix the problem with the SD card I was using (4GB). The only SanDisk microSD I have is 128GB, and I couldn't get it to work at all for some reason. I think it may be a problem with how the SD card is setup: it has multiple partitions and many files (although I moved all the files into one folder temporarily, thinking it might help). If/when I get another SD card and/or stop using the SanDisk one, I'll try to wipe it completely and try again, or I may buy a smaller SanDisk card at some point (more than one device I have could use a SD card).

jiyunomegami

I have a PC Engine (HuCARD) to SNES adapter, that works with the retrode 2.
After connecting /WR (HuCard pin 34) to SNES pin 54, everything is working, including SF2 and Tennokoe Bank RAM.
DO-D7 are connected normally, D0 is SNES pin 19 connected to HuCard pin 23.
But when you choose HuCARD in the cart reader menu, it was reversing the bits in each byte. Why?
I know that the US TG16 cards have D0-D7 reversed, but this adapter works fine with the retrode 2.

I ended up adding a "HuCARD Not Swapped" menu.
Also, I changed the Tennokoe Bank support to read/write separate files for each 2KB bank, one bank at a time.
The bank number can be changed in the menu.
Is this change acceptable? If you have old saves stored as one 8KB file, you will need to split them up.
It may be a chore to dump all 4 banks separately, but if you are just using it to backup your saves frequently,
you will probably only be using one or two banks at a time.
Another good thing about 2KB files, is that they can be used unmodified in an emulator.

Another thing, I forgot to make a separate commit for this speed improvement:
I made it so that the CRC of a ROM is calculated while reading the ROM, so that rereading the ROM from the sd card is unnecessary.

One more small change: added a menu option to force the ROM size to 1024KB, in case the size is not detected correctly.

All of the above changes are in this one commit (https://github.com/jiyunomegami/cartreader):
commit ec80b8ae7854247624fce1808eb4a51b6f9d8660
   Non swapped HuCARD adapter support. Changed Tennokoe Bank support to read/write files for each 2KB bank, one at a time.

I also have a PCE Flash cart!
I added support for the MBM29F080C flash chip used in the tengu 1MB PC Engine flash cart:
commit 805ca93fd8ae68dae6b6199b3c265e26435e584d
Detect Flash ID 04D5 MBM29F080C

Fixed the routine that waits until a byte is finished writing:
With this change, instead of waiting forever, bytes that couldn't be written are skipped over.
commit 9f5a574c210bfbefc2ae5ad1ff255c5b76a51f7c
   busyCheck29F032 changes to match the datasheet

One more change that shouldn't be necessary if the adapter is wired correctly:
/RESET needs to be connected, otherwise writes will often fail. HuCARD pin 36 to SNES pin 26.
This change retries writes in blocks of 512 bytes, until everything is written and verified.
commit 5005bbc715be763e9e4688a459b3447033ca9b1c
   writeFlash29F032: Retry writing, for when /RESET is not connected (floating)

Go Up