Go Down

Topic: Windows/Linux/Mac Eclipse plugin to compile and upload arduino sketches (Read 417598 times) previous topic - next topic

BitSeeker

Yes, there is some confusion on my part here.

Eclipse came as standard with the option right there on the welcome page. When I selected to create a C/C++ project I have the option to create an Arduino C++ sketch. This is before any plugins are installed. I am therefore given the impression that I can work with Arduino sketches right 'out of the box'.

When I created a new project I was immediately offered the option to download a better editor and Sloeber came up as a plugin suggestion so I installed that as well. So is Sloeber neccessary, or can Arduino sketches be created without it?

Checking further, I see that Eclipse C++ IDE for Arduino 3.0 is listed as a plugin. I presume that must have come as standard or I might have selected Arduino during the install process. The author is apparently Eclipse CDT, EPL. No mention of any kind of Dog. On further examining the 'more info' link I discovered another video link which took me to a video by Neon. This was actually helpful (no distressing images of a cat being threatened with a large knife!) and showed me how to create a new Arduino project and set up a board. I finally managed to set up a Hello World project on my Uno board.

So its seems that maybe the Sloeber plugin is not required. However, to be fair, I would like to give both plugins a try. However, from the two options in the Eclipse marketplace, which one do I choose to install:

1. The Arduino Eclipse IDE named Sloeber (Product) V4, by jantje and others, EPL  (13.0k)
2. The Arduino Eclipse plugin named Sloeber V4, by jantje and others, EPL  (44.7k)

If someone could confirm the correct plugin, then I will install it and then try the instructions in the link above.

Juraj

1. The Arduino Eclipse IDE named Sloeber (Product) V4, by jantje and others, EPL  (13.0k)
2. The Arduino Eclipse plugin named Sloeber V4, by jantje and others, EPL  (44.7k)

If someone could confirm the correct plugin, then I will install it and then try the instructions in the link above.

1. is IDE bundled with plugin

hichhiker

For what its worth - I never had good luck using the plugin version of Sloeber. In theory it is same thing, but in practice it was a mess. But the "product bundle" version - i.e. single download that contained both Eclipse and all basic plugins you need - worked wonderfully. I highly recommend using that and not worrying about manually configuring it until you are super comfortable with both Eclipse and Sloeber plugin.

-HH

P.S. Get product here: http://eclipse.baeyens.it/stable.php

Go Up