LCD not working!

I've just bought a non-official kit with arduino uno and many other components and I tried to test the lcd display. I followed exactly all the connections
and I charged Hello World example. The display doesn't work it only lights with the potentiometer. I think it is a different display from the kit's one but I can't understand which is its model number

A link to the kit you bought would be useful, and maybe a photo of how you have it wired up? Oh, and your test code?

simonedefabris:
I've just bought a non-official kit with arduino uno and many other components and I tried to test the lcd display. I followed exactly all the connections
and I charged Hello World example. The display doesn't work it only lights with the potentiometer. I think it is a different display from the kit's one but I can't understand which is its model number

Hey simonedefabris,

Seeing the LCD you are using would be helpful. On the lcd pins you should have a 1 printed on the first pin, and a 16 printed on the last pin. Keep in mind you do have to adjust the pot (contrast). I too had an issue getting mine up and going but it is a very simple fix. Here is a link to what I had posted about mine. Is it broken? - #4 by system - Displays - Arduino Forum

Have a look at the responses. The guys on here helped me get mine going.

Goodluck!

Maybe it's not a 16x2 hitachi compatible lcd? Can you verify? And also double check the pin connection with the sketch.

I followed exactly all the connections
and I charged Hello World example.

Is pin 5 of your LCD (the R/W signal) connected to GND?

Don

Don't mean to hijack this thread; but currently having the same issue

I have the following LCD display:

http://docs-asia.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0f26/0900766b80f269a5.pdf

It runs with the ST7066U driver, which from my research seems to be compatible with the Hitachi one.

http://docs-asia.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0f25/0900766b80f25db8.pdf

I wired it as per the instructions here:

And used the code given; it uploaded successfully, but isn't working.

I'm trying to play around with the variable resistor atm, twisting the knob here and there and seeing if that makes it viewable. I believe my wiring is correct, but I'll go check it again in a while -> the pin layout on the data sheet only explicitly labels pins 1, 2, 15 and 16, so I assumed the layout to be as such:

16 15
14 13
12 11
10 9
8 7
6 5
4 3
2 1

which seems correct?

Any possible reason, apart from poor wiring, that this might not be working?

Oh, using an Arduino Uno btw; made sure the right board and serial port were chosen when uploading; upload was successful.

...the pin layout on the data sheet only explicitly labels pins 1, 2, 15 and 16, so I assumed the layout to be as such:

16 15
14 13
12 11
10 9
8 7
6 5
4 3
2 1

which seems correct?

Yes- that is correct.

Here's an outline (for both of you) of what to do:
(1) Get the backlight working (pins 15 and 16)

(2) Get the power and contrast working (pins 1, 2, and 3).
-- DO NOT GO TRY TO GO ANY FURTHER UNTIL THIS IS WORKING --

(3) Connect the LCD signal and control lines (pins 4,5,6,11,12,13 and 14)
-- DON'T FORGET ABOUT PIN 5 --

(4) Display a static message on the top line of the display.
-- LEAVE loop EMPTY BETWEEN THE BRACKETS --