Go Down

Topic: arduino and MOSFET IRL540 (Read 7603 times) previous topic - next topic

urbstar

Hi,

we have the Arduino UNO and try to activate a valve, therefor we have the MOSFET IRL540.
On Gate we have the 0 or 5V signal from the arduino to switch (on/off), on drain we have 12V for the powersupply. But if we give the 5V  on gate we only get 2,7V on the Source what is not enought to switch the valve.

Would be nice if someone can help me !

Thank you !

billhowl

This is a N-channel MOSFET, the Source pin has to connected to ground and the Drain connect to the valve, the other side of the valve connect to 12V.

urbstar

Thanks a lot it does work now !   :)

MarkT

You should include a 150 -- 1k ohm resistor inbetween the Arduino pin and the MOSFET gate to limit the
maximum current taken from the Arduino pin during switching - otherwise the momentary gate currents
will exceed the 40mA maximum for the Arduino.  If you connect directly you may cause issues even if
it appears to work happily now.

If you want the valve to definitely be off when the Arduino is starting up, add a 10k resistor directly between
MOSFET gate and source - this will discharge the gate whenever the Arduino is not driving the gate pin.  MOSFET
gates behave like capacitors and can retain charge / state for long periods otherwise.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

phaseform

You should include a 150 -- 1k ohm resistor inbetween the Arduino pin and the MOSFET gate to limit the
maximum current taken from the Arduino pin during switching - otherwise the momentary gate currents
will exceed the 40mA maximum for the Arduino.  If you connect directly you may cause issues even if
it appears to work happily now.

If you want the valve to definitely be off when the Arduino is starting up, add a 10k resistor directly between
MOSFET gate and source - this will discharge the gate whenever the Arduino is not driving the gate pin.  MOSFET
gates behave like capacitors and can retain charge / state for long periods otherwise.
You da real MVP

Go Up