Go Down

Topic: About different ways of soldering (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

woyaohuijia

May 08, 2013, 12:50 am Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:15 am by woyaohuijia Reason: 1
Hello Guys!

Does anyone of you tried by using conductive glue(or by using tape to mount) to mount the components, and normal(iron) soldering?

What is the difference between these three ways of soldering? (I am waiting for components for soldering and haven't soldered yet , so I just want discuss with you guys first).

For instance, I want measure the resistance of a 0 ohm resistor. What the result will be for these 3 ways?

BTW could you please tell me where can I find the reference(About glue mounting, tape mounting and normal soldering) to read? I couldn't find any reference about these...

Thanks in advance!

Grumpy_Mike

What the difference between these three ways of soldering?

One works and the other two do not.

Just use an iron and forget about those other two.

woyaohuijia

What the difference between these three ways of soldering?

One works and the other two do not.

Just use an iron and forget about those other two.

Hello Man, thanks for you post.

I think need to test in ways and write a report about three kinds of soldering.

DO you have any information about tape and glue soldering(such as theory)? Any link?  I could not find it on internet

thanks

DVDdoug

I agree... Get a soldering iron.

I've never heard of tape-solder either.  I might have seen something like solder-ribbon that you wrap-around free-hanging wires before heating with a soldering-iron or torch.  Something like that might be appropriate if you are an auto mechanic???

I used conductive glue once to re-attach terminals to the rear-window defroster on my car...   For some reason the solder wouldn't "stick".   It's a fairly high-current application and the glue worked, so I assume the resistance was low, at least with that fairly-large surface area to work with.  (I was worried about resistance before I tried it, but I really didn't want to buy a new rear window.)

With surface mount, you may want to try solder paste and a hot plate.  But, I've never tried that myself...  I try to avoid surface-mount as much as possible at home.   At work we have a surface mount rework station that uses a pre-heater, a hot-air solder pencil, and solder paste...  Too costly for me at home, and it doesn't work that well with fine-pitch parts.  For board assembly, and for rework on fine-pitch surface-mount parts at work, we send the out board to our board-assembly house.  (Again, the setup costs for a board-asssembly contractor are way too high for hobbyists.  It only pays-off if you are building maybe 100 boards.)   

Sembazuru

Check the soldering tutorials on this guy's site:
http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/

Among the best that I've found on the net. I now use them as required reading/watching before I train students to solder at work.
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/I/I-didn-t-change-anything-.html

kd7eir

The fact that you cannot find information about these methods on the internet should answer your question.  Do you REALLY think that something that actually WORKED would not be all over the internet?

woyaohuijia

I agree... Get a soldering iron.

I've never heard of tape-solder either.  I might have seen something like solder-ribbon that you wrap-around free-hanging wires before heating with a soldering-iron or torch.  Something like that might be appropriate if you are an auto mechanic???

I used conductive glue once to re-attach terminals to the rear-window defroster on my car...   For some reason the solder wouldn't "stick".   It's a fairly high-current application and the glue worked, so I assume the resistance was low, at least with that fairly-large surface area to work with.  (I was worried about resistance before I tried it, but I really didn't want to buy a new rear window.)

With surface mount, you may want to try solder paste and a hot plate.  But, I've never tried that myself...  I try to avoid surface-mount as much as possible at home.   At work we have a surface mount rework station that uses a pre-heater, a hot-air solder pencil, and solder paste...  Too costly for me at home, and it doesn't work that well with fine-pitch parts.  For board assembly, and for rework on fine-pitch surface-mount parts at work, we send the out board to our board-assembly house.  (Again, the setup costs for a board-asssembly contractor are way too high for hobbyists.  It only pays-off if you are building maybe 100 boards.)   

hello man,

I might say it wrong.

it should be like I use the tape/glue to mount the component on the circuit

woyaohuijia

Check the soldering tutorials on this guy's site:
http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/

Among the best that I've found on the net. I now use them as required reading/watching before I train students to solder at work.

thanks. i will read it now

Grumpy_Mike

I might say it wrong.

it should be like I use the tape/glue to mount the component on the circuit

You might like to do it but do not this is the worst idea I have ever come across on this forum.

michael_x

According to Grumpy Mike's signature:

Solder is [the true] electric glue

Go Up