Go Down

Topic: What is a sensor shield good for? (Read 2610 times) previous topic - next topic

clockdivider

Hello, I want to trigger a sound with my arduino undo and stumbled uupon the "sensor shield". What is it good for ? All I read is that it makes it easier to plug the sensors to the right pins? Hmmmmm? Do I really need a shield to find the right pins? Until now I did it without.

Could anyone explain to me, what the sensor shield is? And which way to both make a sound sensor and a light barrier work with my Arduino.

Thanks a lot! Martin...

retrolefty

May 16, 2013, 12:34 am Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 12:36 am by retrolefty Reason: 1

Hello, I want to trigger a sound with my arduino undo and stumbled uupon the "sensor shield". What is it good for ? All I read is that it makes it easier to plug the sensors to the right pins? Hmmmmm? Do I really need a shield to find the right pins? Until now I did it without.

Could anyone explain to me, what the sensor shield is? And which way to both make a sound sensor and a light barrier work with my Arduino.

Thanks a lot! Martin...

One thing a 'sensor shield' gives one is lots of extra ground and power pins to help with the wiring to sensors, servos, etc. as well as providing male pins to the arduino I/O pins. That is in my opinion it's biggest advantage in helping to keep wiring manageable and neater and more compact. If one is using a solderless breadboard then a sensor shield probably isn't also needed as one can utilize it's bus strips for power and ground as required.

If have a couple of 'sensor shields' and find them very useful for quickly lashing up a new sensor so I can quickly start the software side to see if the sensor is functional and able to do what I may want to use it for.

So bottom line is no one needs a 'sensor shield' as it's a passive shield board that adds no capabilities that it's mating arduino board does not already provide, however it can be a aid in building projects.

Lefty

Go Up