Go Down

Topic: Stepper Motor driver use DRV8811 (Read 4451 times) previous topic - next topic

Bluesky0202

Hi everyone,

I am going to make driver for stepper motor NEMA8, model JK20H38-0604. Have current/phase 0.6A, Resistance/Phase 10 Ohm, 1.8degree step angle. So can I control it using DRV8811? And how about code for Arduino ?
DRV8811: http://www.ti.com/product/drv8811

Thank you so much!

sonnyyu

Grblshield is using the TI drv8811 chips. They are way more powerful than they look. They can do 2.5 amps per winding and are happiest when running at 24 - 30 volts.

The Arduino grblShield

Grbl - An embedded g-code interpreter and motion-controller for the Arduino/AVR328 microcontroller

https://github.com/grbl/grbl

Bluesky0202

Can i use DRV8811 for my stepper motor? Because my stepper motor have 0.6A current/phase

MarkT

Grblshield is using the TI drv8811 chips. They are way more powerful than they look. They can do 2.5 amps per winding and are happiest when running at 24 - 30 volts.

Run one at 2.5A then?  How hot did it get?  That device has about 0.6 ohm per switch so 2.5A dissipates around 7.5W,
which is about double the max dissipation for the chip according to the datasheet.  Of course the switching strategy
affects dissipation as body-diodes may be carrying some of the current, but still I've yet to meet a single-chip chopper
drive chip that's upto multi-amp drive levels (DMOS fets don't go below 0.3 ohms or so, discrete FETs go down to milliohm
levels).

Typical bipolar steppers might have 1 ohm windings, so having two 0.6 ohm FETs driving it is wasting more that half
the power in the switches.

For 0.6A and 10 ohm windings, however, its a good match :)
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

sonnyyu

May 28, 2013, 09:06 pm Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:07 pm by sonnyyu Reason: 1

Run one at 2.5A then?  How hot did it get?  That device has about 0.6 ohm per switch so 2.5A dissipates around 7.5W,
which is about double the max dissipation for the chip according to the datasheet.  Of course the switching strategy
affects dissipation as body-diodes may be carrying some of the current, but still I've yet to meet a single-chip chopper
drive chip that's upto multi-amp drive levels (DMOS fets don't go below 0.3 ohms or so, discrete FETs go down to milliohm
levels).

Typical bipolar steppers might have 1 ohm windings, so having two 0.6 ohm FETs driving it is wasting more that half
the power in the switches.

For 0.6A and 10 ohm windings, however, its a good match :)

Good catch, I copied those form Grblshield  site, but I double checked the current which  I doubt it as well.
Here is ti spec;

I guess ti use some additional cooling method than Grblshield does.

That is safe because the spec for  IRFS3107 is 370 watts maximum power dissipation using a big heat sink.

It might need enough PCB area, if not available then d2pak heatsink.

further more we could use air cooling(fan), water cooling, ice-water cooling, peltiers, dry ice, liquid nitrogen, mini air conditioner, other type heat pump...

Electronics is art.

change ice cooling to ice-water cooling.

bottom line is;-

For 0.6A and 10 ohm windings, however, its a good match

Bluesky0202

Thanks for your answer. When read the DRV8811 datasheet, I know the VREF set for winding current. But the Datasheet don't write in detail about how to set that value, and relate Vref with winding current.

sonnyyu

Go Up