Go Down

Topic: High input impedance with analog read (Read 16525 times) previous topic - next topic

Delta_G

I'm using a resistor divider to get a rough voltage reading on a higher voltage circuit.  Works great with my multimeter, never goes above 5V.  But I am using a few megaohms of resistor there to keep the current loss on the circuit low. 

If I understand correctly, this means that it will take a long time for the sampling capacitor to charge up and my analogRead might not return the right value. 

Is this something that would stabilize with time, like over many successive reads?  Is there any good solution to this problem?  Can I run the conversion slower?  Is it as simple as just waiting a little longer between reads?
|| | ||| | || | ||  ~Woodstock

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

sonnyyu

CrossRoads

One solution is to buffer the signal with an opamp and feed that to the analog pin.
Or wait a long time between samples. I don't know how long.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

sparkylabs

Yes use an opamp in non inverting mode with a gain of 1 (connect the output to the inverting input directly). another "trick" you can  employ is to put a decent value capacitor on the input that will charge up and hold a charge and effectively reduce the input impedance for the read. This comes with a couple of caveats, you need to allow time between reads to let the capacitor recuperate and your reserve capacitor voltage will slowly follow the voltage applied to the divider so no good following a changing voltage, if you just want to check that say the power is on then this will work fine (with a delay)

fungus

If I understand correctly, this means that it will take a long time for the sampling capacitor to charge up and my analogRead might not return the right value.

A "long time" is very relative. If the input signal isn't high frequency then there's usually no problem.

Is this something that would stabilize with time, like over many successive reads?  Is there any good solution to this problem?  Can I run the conversion slower?  Is it as simple as just waiting a little longer between reads?

If the signal is noisy you can average the result over time. You could also add a small ceramic capacitor between GND and the analog input to filter out the noise.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

fungus

Use high impedance MOS Op-Amp or JFET Op-Amp to isolate input.

Completely pointless for a slowly changing signal.

(And by "slowly changing" I mean in the tens of Hz).
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

sonnyyu

May 29, 2013, 02:56 pm Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 06:12 pm by sonnyyu Reason: 1

Use high impedance MOS Op-Amp or JFET Op-Amp to isolate input.

Completely pointless for a slowly changing signal.

(And by "slowly changing" I mean in the tens of Hz).

Thanks you for the comment, I do not see anywhere in the thread has "tens of Hz". OP want measure DC for my understanding.

fungus

I do see anywhere in the thread has "tens of Hz". OP want measure DC for my understanding.

He doesn't say...but if he can measure it with a digital multimeter then it's DC (or very close to it) so at most he'll need a capacitor (maybe not even that if he averages in software).

sparkylabs

I think we need more information on the purpose of the measurement or at the very least the measuring frequency

Grumpy_Mike

But I am using a few megaohms of resistor there to keep the current loss on the circuit low. 

Then don't, there seems to be a bit of an obsession with saving the odd milli amp in the mistaken impression that it represents good design. It rarely does.

retrolefty

As you may know the arduino analogRead() function is designed and assumes the source impedance of voltage to be read is 10K ohms of lower. The fact that the AVR adc has but a single sample and hold capacitor but multiple multiplexed analog input pins means that you have to deal with the problem that trying to read a high impedance signal. As already posted you can lower the impedance by buffering the signal with a op-amp voltage follower. Or if you are only using a single analog input pin in your project you could just do multiple readings and only use the last reading. Hanging a cap on the analog input pin in question to ground can be effective in many cases. The best solution is only apparent in the context and requirements of the complete project, the purpose of the measurement, costs, power source used, and on and on. If this a personal 'hobby project' you are free to try and use simple or low cost solutions (that may not be optimum but still effective) that one may not be allowed or wish to use in a commercial professional setting.

So try stuff and see what works for you.

Lefty

fungus

As you may know the arduino analogRead() function is designed and assumes the source impedance of voltage to be read is 10K ohms of lower. The fact that the AVR adc has but a single sample and hold capacitor but multiple multiplexed analog input pins means that you have to deal with the problem that trying to read a high impedance signal.

Good point. If you're switching between different analog inputs with impedence higher than 10K then you have to give the capacitor time to charge. For slow moving signals this can be mitigated by adding a capacitor on the analog input pin.

dc42

Hi Delta_g,

There are two separate issues with using a high impedance source with the atmega328 ADC:

1. Sampling capacitor charge time. The default implementation of analogRead starts the conversion in the very next instruction after setting the multiplexer to the required input. This allows only a very short time for the sample capacitor to charge. For source resistances above 10K, I usually patch the analogRead function to add a delayMicroseconds call between these instructions. The minimum delay required is about 1us per additional 10K of source resistance. As an alternative to patching the Arduino runtime, write your own code to set the multiplexer to the desired channel, then call delayMicroseconds, then call analogRead.

The common solution of calling analogRead twice and discarding the first reading is less effective, because the sampling capacitor is not connected to the input during most of the first analogRead call. Two analogRead calls with a delay between them would work, if you don't mind the 110us or so wasted by the first analogRead call.

If you are reading a DC or slowly-varying signal, then a hardware solution is to connect a 0.01uF or greater capacitor between the analog input and ground, if whatever is driving the analog input can tolerate that. The capacitor also provides immunity to noise pickup, which may otherwise be a problem when using high source resistances.

2. Finite input resistance of the ADC. The datasheet specifies 100M typical. Therefore, with 100K source resistance, you can expect an error of about 1 part in 1000, i.e. 1 bit. With 1M source resistance, you can expect an error around 1%.

In one design that was powered from a 9V battery, to measure the battery voltage I used a voltage divider made from two 4.7M resistors, giving an effective source resistance of 2.35M. The reason for such high resistors was that the design didn't have an on/off switch, it just put everything to sleep when inactive; so I needed to minimize the current consumption of the voltage divider.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

fungus

Hi Delta_g,

There are two separate issues with using a high impedance source with the atmega328 ADC:

...but they're only issues if you're trying to read more than one analog pin. If you're only using one analog input then they don't affect you.

dc42

Hi Delta_g,

...but they're only issues if you're trying to read more than one analog pin. If you're only using one analog input then they don't affect you.

If you are using only one analog input, then the first one doesn't affect you after the first few readings, but I believe that the second one does still affect you.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Go Up