Go Down

Topic: Internet Controlled RC car V2? Ideas? (Read 2924 times) previous topic - next topic

xvetox

Hey there guys.
2 years ago I wanted to make something awesome for a science fair and I stumbled upon this website. I decided upon making an Internet Controlled RC Car. I made a forum topic here and as soon as I learnt that it was possible I went on to make it. It was much simpler than I imagined and definitely not as hard as some people told me. It was my second project after blinking LEDs. Now I want to do It again.

I cannot provide images at this time. Ill upload them here as soon as I can.

I was 13 when I made V1 and Im 15 now so I am a bit better prepared to make my 3rd project. Yes, I haven't made anything besides the internet controlled car and blinking the LED on pin 13  8)

The first time around I used one Arduino with an Ethernet shield connected to a router (through cat5) and that router being bridged with another router which has internet access which gives the Arduino internet access, then using a webpage to control the Arduino. The Arduino would control two motors of a RC car. Adding an IP camera (mounted on the car) to the router gave live video relay.

But since the web page was static it wasnt live control. The video was live but the controls were like this:
Press front, move front, stop, press next button.

This time I dont want that. Ive decided to get a hobby car chassis on which I can mount both the router, IP camera and the Arduino.

An extremely cheap RC car with 2WD was able to carry all this, so Im sure that the chassis Im buying will be able to. The chassis has 4WD with 12 V motors.

What I have:
2 WiFi Routers, an Arduino Duemilanove, an Ethernet Shield, an IP Camera and quite soon a hobby car chassis.

What else can I do with this? What sort of coding should I try to make it live control. Getting the video live is no problem, just the controls. I have seen many Ardunio controlled RC Cars with live control but they dont mention how they do it. Just pointers will be enough, I can build on from there. But whole tutorials would be awesome :D

PeterH

I suggest you look into web page design and create a user interface that mimics the steering/throttle controls you'd find on a radio control handset. You could use a couple of sliders, but even better would be a single two-dimensional control that you can drag around with the mouse. There are various ways you could implement that in HTML. You can use an AJAX approach to send commands to the Arduino to inform it of changes in the control position. Given that the internet may not always be reliable I suggest you design it so that the client sends movement commands at regular intervals and design the Arduino sketch so that it will time out and come to a halt if there is a long gap in the sequence of commands. The jQuery library is a very widely known AJAX framework and would be a good choice IMO, but there are plenty of alternatives that would work just as well.

Fairly early on you will probably want to consider some security issues - you probably want to ensure that only one person tries to control the vehicle at a time, and you probably want to be able to control who that is. A simple login form should be adequate.

xvetox

I will look into AJAX and see if I can learn a bit of it. Atleast enough to get what you say :P

As for the security bit, I just want to get it working first.

Are there any other approaches to send input remotely through Ethernet to the Arduino?

zoomkat

I tinkered with a similar setup some time time back (below). You need to pay attention what you are getting with an RC vehicle. Most RC cars seem to be made for fast operation and racing, which are just too fast for steering using an on board cam. "Rock crawlers" may be more appropriate with slower operation. Depending on what type of control you desire, there are various browser based control interfaces possible.

http://www.lynxmotion.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6343
Google forum search: Use Google Search box in upper right side of this page.
Why I like my 2005 Rio Yellow Honda S2000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWjMvrkUqX0

cptdondo

The motors are PWM controlled, so you could dispense with the ESC and see if you can interface the radio directly to the arduino and then build a circuit to drive the motor and the steering servo directly from the arduino through some power transistors.  That would be interesting!

xvetox

Jul 07, 2013, 07:14 am Last Edit: Jul 07, 2013, 07:45 am by xvetox Reason: 1

I tinkered with a similar setup some time time back (below). You need to pay attention what you are getting with an RC vehicle. Most RC cars seem to be made for fast operation and racing, which are just too fast for steering using an on board cam. "Rock crawlers" may be more appropriate with slower operation. Depending on what type of control you desire, there are various browser based control interfaces possible.

http://www.lynxmotion.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6343

My V1 Internet Controlled RC car was basically a copy of yours XD I even used the same router as you did. Really inspired me to even try to do it :)

Ive had been meaning to contact you when I first saw that page, but I really didnt find enough info.

My setup is basically 2 of the same routers you used, in bridge mode. one connected to the internet and the other connected to the arduino and the IP camera sitting on top of the RC Car. The arduino acts as a webserver. My HTML page was a modification of yours as well :)

Yes,most RC cars are too fast. Thats why I used your approach. It moves for a second and then stops and waits until it gets the next server request.
Anyway, adding an Arduino board + Ethernet Shield + Router + IP camera on top of any RC car would slow it down considerably.

most of the chap ones I tried didnt even move at first. Then I got a tiny bit bigger one.

Go Up