Go Down

Topic: Receive and Display Serial Data in Visual Basic? (Read 18588 times) previous topic - next topic

PaulS

im a beginner in vb programming.

But, apparently not to crossposting.

i have no idea what to do now.

Well, I have an idea.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

ady88

What it the unit for 250?

the unit is ms.the vb app send c character and sleep for 250ms.

i;ve tried with your suggestion but still not working. if im using the button with click event, i need to use the serial port data_received event right?
the RX led on arduino is blinking when i click any button on vb app but the RX led doesn't blink. thats mean no data is sent from arduino to vb app isn't it?

ady88

Well, I have an idea.

you already told me on the other post. i tried it but still not working. do you have another idea? let just discuss here.

PaulS

the RX led on arduino is blinking when i click any button on vb app but the RX led doesn't blink.

Does she? Or doesn't she? Only her hairdresser knows for sure.

nickgammon

Please do not cross-post. This wastes time and resources as people attempt to answer your question on multiple threads.

Threads merged.

Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info: http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

ady88

im sorry because im new in this forum. im sorry, its not RX, its TX.the RX led on arduino blinking when i click the button on VB app but the TX led on arduino does not blinking. thats indicates no data is sent from arduino.am i right? should i used readline instead of read existing?

thanks for your replies..

PaulS

should i used readline instead of read existing?

It really doesn't matter what you use to read data that isn't there. If the Arduino isn't transmitting, then it matters not how you try to read the data. It would be like looking for a black cat that isn;t there, at midnight, not using a candle, rather than not using a flashlight.

ady88

but when i used the serial monitor, i can get the data. hurm, thats weird. anyway, thanks for your help. maybe i should use the serial monitor if i want to display the sensor data. but, based on your experience, what should i do to encounter this problem? do you have any idea. at least i can say something during the presentation of my project.

PaulS

what should i do to encounter this problem?

Seems like you've figured out what to do to encounter the problem. What you need to do to avoid the problem, I do not know. I do not use VB.

In C#, serial data reception is handled on another thread, so multi-threading techniques are need to receive serial data and show it in the GUI. Perhaps the same is happening in VB.

Go Up