Go Down

Topic: Android Bluetooth joystick (Read 361558 times) previous topic - next topic

kas

Just wondering if there's anyway to get this working with something like the BLEBee which uses Bluetooth low energy. I'd be willing to try to get it working myself
Hi viperfan7,

The App should connect to BLEBee provided your Android hardware is compatible with BT Low Energy
BLE is supported on Android v4.3 and higher

Let us know the outcome ;)

viperfan7

Jan 21, 2015, 09:05 pm Last Edit: Jan 21, 2015, 09:20 pm by viperfan7
Running it with this module: https://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1073

And it just doesn't seem to want to play nicely, it'll start the connection and scan, but never complete the connection (BT Connection failed) I've set up an app that does connect to it using their libraries, mind you, I really have no idea what I'm doing on the android side of things, but I have communication with my app, but nothing usable, seems to send random data unless I'm reading the serial data wrong.

Also, when trying to connect, I see no activity from the connection state light on the module

kas

Jan 22, 2015, 07:08 am Last Edit: Jan 22, 2015, 07:09 am by kas
Sorry, no experience with Bluetooth 4.0  :-\

I've set up an app that does connect to it using their libraries, mind you, I really have no idea what I'm doing on the android side of things, but I have communication with my app, but nothing usable, seems to send random data unless I'm reading the serial data wrong.
Try decreasing baudrate   AT+UART=57600<CR+LF>
You may also use transparent mode  AT+FSM=FSM_TRANS_USB_COM_BLE<CR+LF>   

Did you try using el cheapo JY-MCU HC-06 ??  they work right out of the box   

viperfan7

THats what I was thinking, too, bringing down the baud rate, because I really don't need full bandwidth, and if this doesn't work, I'll just be grabbing a bluetoothbee, the longer range of BT4.0 is nice but not really needed on these kind of projects

viperfan7

Sadly, gotta go with xbee form factor, my board is just too cluttered, running a speaker, 2 ir leds and sensors, a button, and a ping module with servo

kas

Jan 29, 2015, 08:35 am Last Edit: Jan 29, 2015, 08:36 am by kas
@woodygb

SO there must be an issue with my Android communication, whether it's the version of Blutooth or the version of Android which on mine is Android 4.0.3 Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0...
Did you solve the connection problem ??
Have a look at this new thread  :smiley-neutral:

twm47099

Sadly, gotta go with xbee form factor, my board is just too cluttered, running a speaker, 2 ir leds and sensors, a button, and a ping module with servo
I've had success with using kas' app with this Xbee form factor BT module:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11601

Note that it defaults to 115200 baud, so you may have to command it to a lower baud depending on your microprocessor.

Tom

kas

Feb 01, 2015, 05:58 pm Last Edit: Feb 01, 2015, 06:54 pm by kas
Hi Tom,

Nice to to see you again here  :)

Did you finally have your Propeller Bot up and running ??
Care to share photo's/video's ??

woodygb

@woodygb

Did you solve the connection problem ??
Have a look at this new thread  :smiley-neutral:

Hi Kas,

I haven't heard from Phil ....it's entirely possible that he's back in Hospital. :(

Woody

twm47099

Hi Tom,

Nice to to see you again here  :)

Did you finally have your Propeller Bot up and running ??
Care to share photo's/video's ??

Hi Kas,

I did get the Propeller ActivityBot up and running.  Unfortunately, I am a bit under the weather recovering from a gall bladder operation, so I can't get any photos or videos at this time.

I use your app to control different modes on the ActivityBot.  The mode when it starts is just joystick control (fwd, back, right, left speed up, and slow down.)  I use the buttons to change modes.  One mode adds a Ping distance sensor in a third core and just changes an RGB LED from green to yellow to red as I drive and the bot gets nearer or further from objects.  It was a very simple addition that I really used just to learn how to start and stop cores.  (BT commander software runs in its own core that I start at the beginning of the program and keep running to the end).

The other primary mode is to put the bot under control of the CMUCAM5 Pixy color identification and tracking camera.  I use the buttons to select/deselect this mode, set the pixy control mode (proportional or fixed rotation tracking), and to select the color to be tracked.  Other buttons provide emergency stop and program end.  All of modes and  conditions can be selected/changed real time (that's why BT commander software runs in is own core). 

I use Bot to android communication to clear the button lights at program start, to set/clear the button lights depending on what the program does (when I select Pixy mode- button 4 turns on, the program deselects Ping mode and turns off the button 3 light in the android device.)  The Bot to Android communication also updates the status regarding the Pixy command mode used and the color signature chosen to track.)

I've gotten sidetracked a bit because I wanted to use Pixy's SPI data interface mode to allow more colors to be tracked, but that meant I had to learn how to include an existing fast SPI driver that incorporates native Propeller code (SPIN and Assembly language) into C programs.  That led to developing a Propeller C SPI library function and writing library functions for a number of my SPI devices.  So I haven't had time to do much additional with the Bot.

One thing of interest is that one of the propeller experts has recently written Propeller SPIN code that uses  your app.  His post is here:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/159920-Android-Control-of-Propeller-using-Joystick-BT-Commander-App-Spin-Code

Tom

kas

Feb 05, 2015, 08:03 am Last Edit: Feb 05, 2015, 08:03 am by kas
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the update, hope you will be fully recovered very soon   :)
Take care

lilo

hello, I can't find a version of the application "Total RC Commander" on Google Play. how do I get it please?

kas

Feb 21, 2015, 08:09 pm Last Edit: Apr 23, 2015, 07:36 pm by kas
hello, I can't find a version of the application "Total RC Commander" on Google Play. how do I get it please?
I sell this App directly (2€ / 3$), payment via Paypal

Preriquisites:
 - to be familiar with Joystick BT Commander (same Bluetooth engine)
 - to be able to connect an IP camera on a PC
 - to be able to load an .apk file in an Android device

The App was tested using Wanscam, Foscam and Moto_G smartphone cameras

More info and demo here

Let me have you email address via PM

kas

Feb 23, 2015, 08:32 am Last Edit: Feb 23, 2015, 08:33 am by kas
Check your mail  ;)

Go Up