Go Down

Topic: Car PSU proposal -- need design critique (Read 11436 times) previous topic - next topic

dhenry

Finally got around to ordering the PCBs for this project.

1. looks to be well designed and well made.
2. You may want to study the datasheet hard: there were numerous errors in your design posted earlier.
3. You may consider the beefier / simpler xx166/167. They come in to220 and have a Vref of 5.05v.

SirNickity

looks to be well designed and well made.

Thanks!  8)

You may want to study the datasheet hard: there were numerous errors in your design posted earlier.

Errors?  Well, that doesn't sound at all like me.  XD  I should probably take the initial schematics down.  I've fixed a few mistakes since then.

You may consider the beefier / simpler xx166/167.

I'm not familiar with that part.  What's the xx?  I know it's a placeholder, but what's an example that I can Google to find out more about it?

So, today's test was successful.  I populated a board, wired it up to a car battery charger, stuck it outside where it could safely catch fire, crossed my fingers and hit the switch on the power strip.  No smoke, no pops nor fizzles -- or were there...?  It was outside afterall.

The green LED is the main +5v output.  The red one is the Accessory output.  Next up:  Probing the output with an oscilloscope; testing with >24v input; and hooking it up to 120vAC.  (That will probably be the final test for this board.)

RudiAhlers

I would like to use an Arduino in my 24V truck as well to monitor various sensors on the engine, and I'm very interested in your project. How did the testing go? I'm planning on using a GSM shield, which requires at least 1A to work well and probably need to run the whole unit with at least 7V.

Go Up