Go Down

Topic: Load Arduino Pro Mini with Arduino Mega (Read 5226 times) previous topic - next topic

Salec

Well, first of all this is my first thread  :) and just few programs with arduino

I just bought a arduino pro mini and I want to know how I can load my program through USB(PC) or through another arduino mega.

I try to search tutorials but all I found was using the adapter adapter FT232RL USB to Serial.

Thank you in advance.

Paul__B

A recent entrant to the Pro Mini - and Mega2560 - "scene", I have been flogging eBay for a while now.

The USB to TTL adaptors cost less than US$1.50 including postage if you are prepared to wait a few weeks and are not in a blacklisted country, or a little more if you want one that either has, or can be modified for the "auto-reset" function to program the Pro Mini, otherwise you have to learn the trick of doing that manually which is still pretty easy.  If you want them mailed faster, that costs somewhat more.

The point is they just work (at least, if you are using a Linux variant, making the USB drivers work is more tedious with Windoze).  It's arguably not worth making the job more difficult.

fungus

I just bought a arduino pro mini and I want to know how I can load my program through USB(PC) or through another arduino mega.

Not easily.

I try to search tutorials but all I found was using the adapter adapter FT232RL USB to Serial.

There's a reason for that...it's the best way!

The adapters are cheap, eg. I use these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320907184616

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

CrossRoads

"Our Arduino Pro boards and LilyPads use this type of connector. "

Direct ripoff of the wording from Sparkfun! Sparkfun stopped making this model, going to a surface mount connector instead,
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9716
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

fungus

"Our Arduino Pro boards and LilyPads use this type of connector. "

Direct ripoff of the wording from Sparkfun!

Ha! Well spotted... :-)
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Lithu

Hello,

Yo estoy programando Arduino pro mini 5v  con una MEGA 2560 de la siguiente forma.

Conexiones:

pin GND mega -> GND Arduino pro mini
pin vcc 5v Mega -> vcc Arduino pro mini
pin TX0 Mega -> TXD Arduino pro mni
pin RX0 Mega -> RX0 Arduino pro mini
pin reset Mega -> GND Arduino pro mini

En Arduino IDE selecciono:
Herramientas->PLacas-> Arduino Pro o Pro Mini

Edito el Sketch que quiero cargar en arduino mini y pulso Load Skecht. Cuando en el IDE abajo salen los bytes del ejecutable pulso el reset de arduino pro mini y me lo carga sin problemas.

Un saludo,

OldSalt1945

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200964262349?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

USB To TTL Auto Converter Module Converter Adapter 5V 3.3V Output

$1.38 free shipping

Delivery estimated = April 2 - April 8.

John
Always keep the shower curtain INSIDE the tub.

Lithu

Hello oldsalt,

I know, the best way is that, but the quiestion was "Load Arduino Pro Mini with Arduino Mega" and i reply them how i do.

Sorry for my english.

Regards.

CrossRoads

One way: On the Mega, connect Reset to Gnd.
That disables the Mega2560 and leaves the USB/Serial interface free to use for something else.

Connect Mega's Rx to Promini Rx, connect Mega's Tx to Promini Tx, connect Gnd to Gnd, connect Mega 5V to Promini Vcc.

In the IDE, select File:Preferences and turn on Verbose Outputs.

Select Tools:Board:Promini with 5V 16 Mhz (or 3.3V/8 MHz if that is what you have).
Start the download - when the IDE shows "compiled xxx of 32,xxx bytes", press Reset on the Promini. Might take a couple of tries to get the timing right.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

larryd

One way: On the Mega, connect Reset to Gnd.

That's experience talking.
No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

Paul__B

USB To TTL Auto Converter Module Converter Adapter 5V 3.3V Output
$1.38 free shipping
Delivery estimated = April 2 - April 8.
John

Unfortunately, that is the 5-pin version which lacks the automatic reset control line.  It is usable, but painful.

There's a reason for that...it's the best way!

The adapters are cheap, eg. I use these.

That is the correct adapter, and it has the "standard" FTDI pin out.  There are however, cheaper adapters with the auto-reset functionality, generally about $3.

Go Up