Go Down

Topic: Serial Broadcast Communication with Bluetooth (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

dcellucci

I am seeking to simultaneously send the same string over serial from my computer to multiple arduino components connected to the computer via bluetooth. I am using the bluetooth mate gold from sparkfun and arduino pro minis.

The string will have instructions for each arduino in the format "{ID  #1}: {Parameters} | {ID #2}: {Parameters} | ..." The Arduino will parse the string, pick out the parameters that correspond to its ID, and use those parameters in its program.

is this the best way to do things? i am seeking for the commands to be parsed (relatively) at the same time, so I am thinking that this is the most effective way to simultaneously talk to 3 different bluetooth connected devices. However, I have no clue how to do the broadcasting. Right now, each bluetooth connects to my computer via an individual COM port, and I have no how to set up a port that sends the message to all three bluetooth devices at the same time.

Thanks alot for reading this! Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S.
Alternatively, If I could send the command from a fourth Arduino (a Mega) to the other three, that would be even better.

mate gold: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12580
arduino pro mini: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11114

Nick_Pyner

Dec 18, 2013, 02:02 am Last Edit: Dec 18, 2013, 04:34 am by Nick_Pyner Reason: 1

I am seeking to simultaneously send the same string over serial from my computer to multiple arduino components connected to the computer via bluetooth.

Bluetooth establishes communication by pairing. Pair means two, one PC and one Arduino. I believe you could use several Arduinos, and I am waiting for somebody to do it, but I'm sure it will have to be done by polling one Arduino at a time.

Alternatively, If I could send the command from a fourth Arduino (a Mega) to the other three, that would be even better.

It is likely to be easier to programme a Mega than a PC but, in principle, all you are doing is moving the problem rather than  solving it. You might be better off using an NRF24 network.

Go Up