delayMicroseconds(10); // Added this line
  digitalWrite(trigPin, LOW);
  duration = pulseIn(echoPin, HIGH);
  distance = duration*340 / 20000;

Serial.print(distance);
    Serial.println(" cm");
    delay(500);
  }

Hey guys, this is the code that I get somewhere else online.

Can anyone try to explain to me why is the calculation for distance is such ? I understand that thius is the formula for distance  = time* velocity. How does that 20000 comes from ? I know that the distance that we interest in have to be divided by 2. So I guesse there is where the 2 comes from but why multiple 10 power of 4 ?

Thanks !

Arrch

Speed of sound is ~34 cm per millisecond. pulseIn() returns a value in microseconds.

Vincent19

Okay, now I am suck in the unit conversion. Get confused although I know the facts LOL.

Anyone ?

AWOL

Vincent19

How did I convert it ? I just get myself too confused with that :(

Arrch

How did I convert it ? I just get myself too confused with that :(

Convert what to what?

Vincent19

Ok to be clear, why should I divide by 20000 ?

Thanks

AWOL

340 metres per second.
100 cm per metre.
Twice the distance (round trip timing)

Arrch

Ok to be clear, why should I divide by 20000 ?

Thanks

Because you receive a time in microseconds, and speed travels at 0.034029 centimeters per microsecond

Vincent19

Okay, will take some time to do the math tricks here :)

By the way, why do we need the microsecond(2) in between when trigger LOW and HIGH ?

Thnaks

AWOL

Because the sonar needs a minimum pulse length  to trigger it

Vincent19

And the minimum pulse length is 2 microseconds ? So means thet after 2 uS, the trigger pin will be trigger to send sonar ?

Thanks

Arrch

And the minimum pulse length is 2 microseconds ?

Don't know, what does the Datasheet say for whatever sensor you are using?

Vincent19

I am using HC-SR04 :) Okay, I should read the datasheets in more details then.

Thanks !

keeper63

I am using HC-SR04 :) Okay, I should read the datasheets in more details then.

Vincent19 - If there is anything you should learn from this exchange, it is this:

Magic numbers are bad.

That is what "20000" is in that piece of code - it's a blatent example of a "magic number" in programming:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_number_%28programming%29#Unnamed_numerical_constants

Ideally, rather than "20000", named constants or similar (inline or block comments, for instance) would have been used to explicitly tell you, as another programmer, where and why that number was used.

You see these kinds of numbers all over the place in code everywhere (it isn't just limited to code for the Arduino, either, unfortunately); it is a hallmark of poor programming practice. There are only very rare cases when "undefined" constants may be utilized in programming (the stupid thing is invariably you'll see someone stick a comment at the end of these cases that says something like "adding one to this variable").

Learn and understand this, and don't do this in your own code; whether you intend to publish the code or not, you'll save all of us headaches and questions down the road, and you'll be a better programmer as a result.
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Go Up