Go Down

Topic: What kind of connector is this? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic


Hi Guys

I need a plugs and pcb mount sockets (0.1") like these and need to make up some custom length interconnects. I'd like the latched connector on both ends. Anyone know what they're called:

I'd buy from the site above, but shipping is from Hong Kong and I don't want to wait that long




Hi Mark

That's a 'buckled 3 pin connector', commonly used for 'electronic brick' modules.

(links to google image searches for those terms for visual confirmation)

Cheers !
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse" - retired astronaut Chris Hadfield


Thanks Jeff

They seem impossible to find in US, so I'm guess there's a different name to that used in Far east. just gotta find it!


If the top receptacle is hollowed out and has 3 male pins, then look up "servo extension cable", available from pololu, allelectronics, and others. Will not have the locking mechanism on the lower connector, however.


Also have a look for Dupont connectors :)


I've bought a few random connectors that you might want to look at (assuming you just want compatible connectors, and not those exact connectors).

Pololu sells DIY crimp connectors: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/70.  You would probably want to buy the 1x3 connectors, and wires with pre-crimped terminals (F-F, M-F, or M-M depending on what you need), or you can get the crimping terminals and make your own custom wires.  I've found some of the breadboard wires I've picked up is too thin to use in the crimp terminals.

Dipmicro has locking connectors.  You can buy the individual pieces, or a set that has various sizes (3. 4. 5. 6, 8, and 10 pin connectors both M/F, and a lot of crimp pins) http://www.dipmicro.com/store/SET-HDR.  Or you can go to the site and order exactly the connectors you need.  I believe these are JST type connectors.

Pololu also sells terminal blocks that you can solder to a board, and then attach wires via a spring lock: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/117.

Another option would be phone connectors (RJ-11), or 2.5mm/3.5mm phono cables.  If you live in the US, Radio Shack has some connectors in their components drawers, but typically you would need to know what to look for, since many RS clerks don't really know what are in those component drawers.  You can find 3.5mm connectors for breadboards on ebay, but it is harder to find 2.5mm (but if you are willing to solder wires, it is easier to find the jacks).

Go Up