Go Down

Topic: Burning sketches to the Arduino board with an external programmer...? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Tsoni

My atmega 16u2 on my Uno is out of order and will not upload any sketches.If I use an external programer http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Programmer
via the icsp header next to the atmega 328, will this broken chip affect my programing, or I just need the atemga 328 cip to be programed?
The topic is quite urgent.Thanks in advance!

CrossRoads

16U2 connects to Rx/Tx.
ICSP connects to SPI pins.
You should be able to program via ICSP without issue.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Tsoni

Good, but my 16u2 is NOT working.It has been burnt I believe...So can I use the icsp to program the 328 without using the 16u2 in any way???

CrossRoads

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

retrolefty

My atmega 16u2 on my Uno is out of order and will not upload any sketches.If I use an external programer http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Programmer
via the icsp header next to the atmega 328, will this broken chip affect my programing, or I just need the atemga 328 cip to be programed?
The topic is quite urgent.Thanks in advance!

That link is very old information and should really not be used. The current IDE makes it quite easier to directly burn sketches from the IDE without having to use the normal arduino board's serial link. You will of course need a hardware ICSP programmer but that can be just another arduino board loaded with the arduinoISP sketch that then wires to your target board via the SPI pins. In the IDE's tools menu you must first select the board type of your target board and select the hardware programmer you will be using. Then in the IDE's file menu there is a 'upload using programmer' option that will compile the sketch in the IDE edit window and upload it via your programmer to the target board.

Lefty

Tsoni

Thanks!Just ordered another arduino- this time a nano, but not an original one though.I hope it will work and then I will use it to upload sketches to the broken uno.I will tell if it worked in 2-3 weeks.

retrolefty

Thanks!Just ordered another arduino- this time a nano, but not an original one though.I hope it will work and then I will use it to upload sketches to the broken uno.I will tell if it worked in 2-3 weeks.

It will work, it's just a matter of getting all the wiring and detail steps correctly done.

Lefty

Go Up