Go Down

Topic: Yun not connecting to Internet through Ethernet wired connection: Please observe (Read 14144 times) previous topic - next topic

commsec

jumpjack

Code: [Select]

root@Arduino:/# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
default         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    10     0        0 eth1
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     10     0        0 eth1

I confirm that eth1 metric is deliberately set to 10 because otherwise you would lose access to the yun just by plugging in the ethernet cable (yun disappearing from the IDE, stuck ssh connection)
Can you please explain this part? What is the "metric" parameter, how do I set it, and why does it affect IDE connection?

I have no wifi on the old desktop PC I'm using; connecting over ethernet allows me to see SD card contents (so I know connection is working), but Yun IP address does not appear in IDE menu, so I can't upload sketches and web pages.

ShapeShifter

and why does it affect IDE connection?
I don't think it should affect the Yun appearing in the IDE. This thread is talking about problems accessing the Internet through a default gateway. You have a different issue, which is strictly limited to the local network, and does not involve the default gateway or the Internet. This thread is not applicable to your issue.

There are many other threads on your issue, this is one: Seeing Yun in IDE Port menu

sonnyyu

Can you please explain this part? What is the "metric" parameter, how do I set it,
Metrics are used to determine whether one particular route should be chosen over another
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrics_%28networking%29

jessemonroy650

Can you please explain this part? What is the "metric" parameter, how do I set it, and why does it affect IDE connection?

I have no wifi on the old desktop PC I'm using; connecting over ethernet allows me to see SD card contents (so I know connection is working), but Yun IP address does not appear in IDE menu, so I can't upload sketches and web pages.

@jumpjack,

As ShapeShifter stated, this does NOT affect the IDE.

Google: linux route what is metric

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/what-is-a-routing-table/

FWIW: route is the last possible test when having connectivity issues. The first test is ping.
Google: what is network ping test

Jesse

Go Up