Go Down

Topic: Basic DC Brushed Motor Bi-direction ON/OFF with Current Sensing. (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

smm289

Hello everyone,
This is my first post, and the beginning of my Arduino experience.  I will keep this post simple and focused.

I need to control a DC brushed motor, typical running current is around 5 amps, stall current is around 15amps.  Operating voltage = ~12Vdc.

I like some of the control boards that are all ready built. They give me current sensing, and bi-directional control all within a small package.
This is the product I am looking at to be the basis of my control http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/708

My project needs to to just turn the motor on, allow it to pull as much current as it can and operate at its full potential speed.  I see that the NVH2SP30 chips, and most other motor control ICs control speed based on a PWM signal.  Is there any way I can use this chip just in an ON/OFF mode?  Do I just feed it a very high frequency PWM signal?  Should I be looking at a different product that would give me bi-direction motor control and current sensing?

Thank you for your time,
Steve

Chagrin

It doesn't require that you give it a PWM signal; a simple "HIGH" will suffice for full speed.

smm289

Thank you for the response.  I checked spec sheets and did Google searches but could not find this answer.  I'm guessing it is my own inexperience with this type of motor control.

Thank you.

o_lampe

If you want to use PWM one day, you could set the PWM Ratio to 255, which is 100% and is the same a setting the pin " high".
It's not the frequence you'd change by PWM but the duty cycle: the ratio how long the output stays high or low.

Go Up