Go Down

Topic: Is the Arduino Yun still Open Hardware? (Read 38279 times) previous topic - next topic

Jantje

thanks for the explanation.
Now I get it.
What you explain (making a yun with a wifi router) is what I did with a linksys and a mega before yun existed.
I'm probably lazy but I prefer a ready made package. As a shield fits on top of a arduino there is no way to beat the "size" and "build-in" characteristics.
Best regards
Jantje
Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

Squonk42

Now I get it.
What you explain (making a yun with a wifi router) is what I did with a linksys and a mega before yun existed.
I'm probably lazy but I prefer a ready made package. As a shield fits on top of a arduino there is no way to beat the "size" and "build-in" characteristics.

With a "built-in" package, you are limited to a 32U4  :)

And you can certainly beat the "size" characteristic by using a mini or micro board 8)

Jantje

Now I get it.

With a "built-in" package, you are limited to a 32U4  :)

And you can certainly beat the "size" characteristic by using a mini or micro board 8)

I guess I didn't get it in the first place then  :~
Seeing the problem I have in "getting it" I'll stop trying.
Best regards
Jantje
Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

pfeerick

Even better, on the same Linino Arduino Yùn page (http://www.linino.org/modules/yun/), there is a PDF file http://www.linino.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Arduino-Yun-V4-Schematic.pdf with the label "Arduino Yun R4 Schematic (pdf)". Its frame contains a date "Friday, February 28, 2014", so it looks like it is newer indeed and corresponds to the Arduino Yùn R4 design. There is an item "Arduino Yun R4 Gerber (pdf)", but no link to download  :smiley-slim:

And you can't trust this schematic anyway, as my board has 3 buttons ("32U4 RST", "YUN RST" and "WLAN RST"), but I only see 2 in the schematic ("32U4 Reset" and "USER BUTTON")!
Sorry to respond to this at a late date, but I was doing some follow up reading as a result of the article on Hackaday. I suggest you look at this schematic again... as I can quite clearly see three button. 32U4 Reset in the middle, and a user button and reset button linked to the wifi module on the left. So if that is the sole reason for discounting this schematic as valid, you might want to take another look at it.

However, as a Arduino supporter, I am very disappointed that documentation of even this level is present on the website. I would however suggest that you consider emailing the developers mailing list to see what documentation is available, and to discuss this further.

Squonk42

Sorry to respond to this at a late date, but I was doing some follow up reading as a result of the article on Hackaday. I suggest you look at this schematic again... as I can quite clearly see three button. 32U4 Reset in the middle, and a user button and reset button linked to the wifi module on the left. So if that is the sole reason for discounting this schematic as valid, you might want to take another look at it.
What you are referring to is the front block schematic, not the detailed ones that are in the following pages, where only 2 buttons can be seen.

Did you try to remove the Arduino Yun matel shield? I did: http://www.wifi4things.com/arduino-yun-what-is-under-the-hood/

There is NO WIFI MODULE under it: all components are soldered directly onto the board, unlike what the schematics pretend. It means that they don't give you the full schematics to redo the board by yourself, which is clearly against the Open Hardware spirit. Worse: the schematics they provide looks like an old version from 2013.

Please take yet another look at the schematics.

However, as a Arduino supporter, I am very disappointed that documentation of even this level is present on the website. I would however suggest that you consider emailing the developers mailing list to see what documentation is available, and to discuss this further.
Sorry that we had to go into this technical details, but the whole point is more philosophic: the Yun can no longer be considered as Open Hardware, which is IMHO a clear turn from previous Arduino boards. This is further enlighten by the recent fork between Arduino LLC and Arduino SRL.

Read my blog, I tried to get an answer for 2 years by different means, even emailing the original Arduino developers, to no avail. The reason is simple: there is no possible explanation besides the wrong ones, checkmate.

bobcousins

Sadly, a lot of claimed Open Source hardware is not Open Source, and several Arduino boards are no exception. I always get the feeling that they want the kudos of "doing Open Source", but don't really want to let anyone actually freely copy it - which is the whole point of Open Source.

I know M. Banzi gets hot under the collar when it is suggested that Arduino are not fully committed to Open Source, but it is undeniable that boards like Yun are simply not Open Source, nor were they ever intended to be, yet they still call it Open Source.

For many companies, even flagship Open Source company like Arduino, Open Source seems to be a marketing bullet point. When it comes to a choice, business takes first place, and Open Source principles second.

There are a very few Open Hardware companies willing to always put Open Source first, and never compromise by selling a closed product.

There is an Open Source approval scheme for hardware - I wonder how many have heard of it. http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom From the rather short list you can see how few companies are seriously committed to Open Source hardware.

Please ask questions in the forum so everyone can benefit. PM me for paid work.

Go Up