Linux Mint: can't add my user to "dialout" group

I've purchased an Arduino Uno board, but it is still on the way (hope it is delivered soon). In the meantime I was reading the docs and trying to setup the environment.

I'm on a Linux Mint machine. I've followed the step by step instructions here Arduino Playground - HomePage.

Got the first step done, everything installed ok, and the IDE opens when I type arduino in the shell. But I'm stuck trying to add my user to the dialout group. I tried this:

su -c 'usermod -aG dialout <username>' root

And also this:

sudo usermod -a -G dialout <username>

None of them worked. I can't see the dialout group when I type groups as the instructions say. I'm however in a number of other groups. Could it be that the group does not exists? Should it have been created after the apt-get install finished? Should I create it manually?

I'm also trying to understand whether or not this step is required for me. The guide says

This allows you to communicate via a serial port

, but the Uno R3 has an USB port. Could it be that this step is only required for older RS232 ports and it is not needed for USB? (BTW my PC has no RS-232 port, only USB ones).

This was supposed to be "easier than going to sleep". I could try the Windows XP way, but that would get rid of my remaining self-esteem. ]:slight_smile:

Thanks in advance.

The first stupid question for you is, are you substituting any references to for your login username?

Yes. I've also checked the computer is plugged :slight_smile:

Sorry for asking such a question but you would be surprised. :~
I have just successfully setup this Arduino IDE in a virtual machine fresh install of Mint 15 32 bit but used a slightly different method.
First I did su -c 'apt-get install arduino' root and installed the IDE then when you run the IDE it pops up the warning about needing user to be added to the dialout group. I just said yes (or whatever the affirmative response was) and entered my password when prompted. You need to then log off and on again for the change to take effect. I then successfully uploaded the blink sketch after this and it worked fine.

This installed IDE version 1.0.3 but the latest is 1.0.5 so I used Synaptic to remove the current arduino install, downloaded and extracted the Linux 32bit version of 1.0.5 and then in terminal did a sudo mv arduino-1.0.5/ /opt to move it to the right place. You also need to create a menu entry for it.

Thanks for your response. Actually after rebooting I can see that I'm added to the "dialout" group, so you are right about the log off point. I think this clarification should be added to the instructions page.

But now that you mention the version issue, I've checked the dialog in the "help > about" menu in the IDE and it shows v1.0. I've opened the "usr/share/arduino/lib/version.txt" file to double-check and it also shows v1.0. OS is Linux Mint 13 LTS x64. Synaptic shows that the version installed is arduino (1:1.0+dfsg-9), and it says it is also the latest version (obviously it's not, but maybe it is the latest version compatible with my distro?).

So I'm a bit lost here. Can this be a problem? I'm only planning to connect a Uno board. Will I miss any critical feature?
This was supposed to be the easiest way, only two simple commands to run and I had problems in one. So I don't feel confident enough to try the "hard way". In my experience, almost every app I installed manually turned out to have configuration issues, so I'd like to avoid it unless it were strictly necessary.

buffer_overfly:
Thanks for your response. Actually after rebooting I can see that I'm added to the "dialout" group, so you are right about the log off point. I think this clarification should be added to the instructions page.
Glad your up and running. Yes the playground instructions should probably be updated.

So I'm a bit lost here. Can this be a problem? I'm only planning to connect a Uno board. Will I miss any critical feature?
This was supposed to be the easiest way, only two simple commands to run and I had problems in one. So I don't feel confident enough to try the "hard way". In my experience, almost every app I installed manually turned out to have configuration issues, so I'd like to avoid it unless it were strictly necessary.

I only have the 32 bit Mint but I can see no reason why 64 bit should be any different. You can install the newer version and have them both available at the same time or replace the old version with the newer one.
Try this...
Download the Linux 64 bit version from the arduino.cc site and save it to Downloads.

When the file is downloaded open it using file archiver and extract to Downloads. When extraction is complete select 'Quit' from archiver.

Open a terminal window (should default to your home folder). Type cd Downloads then type sudo mv arduino-1.0.5 /opt enter your password when prompted. Close terminal window.

Right click 'Menu' on task bar and select 'Edit menu'. Select 'Programming' group in left panel and then right click 'Arduino IDE' in the right panel and select 'Copy'. Select a different group in left panel and then right click in an empty space on the right panel and select 'Paste' (this pastes back to Programming group for me) so select 'Programming' group on left panel again and you should see two 'Arduino IDE' entries.
Right click one of them and select 'Properties'. Change the name to something like 'Arduino 1.0.5' and then click the browse button and navigate to the /opt/arduino-1.0.5 folder and open the 'arduino' file within it. Select 'Close' then close the Menu editor and now you should have links to run the original and the new version of the Arduino IDE.
I have not fully tested the newer version but hopefully it will work okay.

I've installed the x64 version in addition to the old one, following your steps. Installed it in /opt despite the older version was installed in /usr/share. I've created a new launcher in the menu (had to create a new one though, probably the functionality to copy launchers was added in newer versions of this distro).

So far it looks ok, both IDEs are working now. I guess all those tedious configuration steps listed in the "hard way" page were already performed by the first package manager install. I hope the two installs don't mess with each other. Crossing fingers for them to work fine when the board arrives home... :cold_sweat:

Thanks for the small tutorial.

"Thanks for your response. Actually after rebooting I can see that I'm added to the "dialout" group, so you are right about the log off point. I think this clarification should be added to the instructions page."

Thank you so much :stuck_out_tongue: the "logoff" and "restart" solved my very same problem after two hours of growing despair :slight_smile:

perdon por revivir el post, pero tuve este problema al instalarlo en linux mint a traves de apt-get y lo solucion descargando desde la pagina arduino.cc
y todo funciono como se debe

daniel@inspiron:~/Hacklab/arduino-1.8.7$ bash arduino-linux-setup.sh daniel

******* Add User to dialout,tty, uucp, plugdev groups *******

groupadd: el grupo «plugdev» ya existe

******* Removing modem manager *******

Leyendo lista de paquetes... Hecho
Creando árbol de dependencias       
Leyendo la información de estado... Hecho
Los paquetes indicados a continuación se instalaron de forma automática y ya no son necesarios.
  libjna-java libjna-jni librxtx-java
Utilice «sudo apt autoremove» para eliminarlos.
Los siguientes paquetes se ELIMINARÁN:
  modemmanager
0 actualizados, 0 nuevos se instalarán, 1 para eliminar y 0 no actualizados.
Se liberarán 2 929 kB después de esta operación.
(Leyendo la base de datos ... 285008 ficheros o directorios instalados actualmente.)
Desinstalando modemmanager (1.6.8-2ubuntu1) ...
Created symlink /run/systemd/system/ModemManager.service → /dev/null.
Removed /run/systemd/system/ModemManager.service.
Procesando disparadores para man-db (2.8.3-2) ...
Procesando disparadores para dbus (1.12.2-1ubuntu1) ...
Procesando disparadores para hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...

Restarting udev

*********** Please Reboot your system ************

daniel@inspiron:~/Hacklab/arduino-1.8.7$ groups
daniel adm tty dialout cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare
daniel@inspiron:~/Hacklab/arduino-1.8.7$ arduino

No se ha encontrado la orden «arduino», pero se puede instalar con:

sudo apt install arduino

daniel@inspiron:~/Hacklab/arduino-1.8.7$ ls
arduino                 examples    java       reference      tools-builder
arduino-builder         hardware    lib        revisions.txt  uninstall.sh
arduino-linux-setup.sh  install.sh  libraries  tools
daniel@inspiron:~/Hacklab/arduino-1.8.7$ ./install.sh 
Adding desktop shortcut, menu item and file associations for Arduino IDE... done!
daniel@inspiron:~/Hacklab/arduino-1.8.7$